waukesha engine/ generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfox561

I have a waukesha engine, model L7042GU, and i am having some problems with it. it keeps hunting. so far we have done everything that we can mechanically, now we are to the electrical part. i think it might have something to do with the governor, but not sure. after i took the arm off the acctuator it worked fine, so pretty sure its the governor. what tests can i do to make sure that it is the governor, and if so then what is the reccomended way of fixing this problem? any other ideas of what this could be?

Natural gas recip engines do not hold frequency well when in an islanding mode. I had experience with 2.2MW units that would hunt slightly when in an islanding mode, which set off UPS alarms as well as alarms on servers and other sensitive equipment. When the unit was operating in parallel with utility is was fine. Natural Gas recip engines cannot handle larger load steps well without frequency excursions....

I don't think the facility I have experience ever resolved the issue. I think it had something to do with the fuel air mixtue, the actuator and the govenor. How bad are the frequency excursions or hunting you describe?

bfox561

our feul air mixture is fine, we have taken apart and put back together just about everything on there. our actuator is good, we took one off of our other engine and used that, same problem. we have narrowed it down to it being not on the mechanical side. when we start our engine the hunting is very bad, going from 1100 rpms to 1250 rpms!

Sounds as though your suspitions regarding the govenor may be correct. Any recent changes to the system? I'm no longer at the site I have experience with, but I believe they pinned down most of the issue to the govenor.

nawao

droop vs. isoch

droop vs. isoch

Governors must be in isoch when in an islanding mode. In parallel with utility the governor must be in droop mode. In which mode is your system when hunting?

dbuckley

Electronic or mechanical governor? Does it hunt with a moderate pure resistive load or are you testing with the real load? What sort of load (motors? an old UPS?)?

This is a really important question; unloaded or lightly loaded UPSs present a terrible power factor to the genset, and the voltage regulators get very confused, and all sorts of things happen, including hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.