We could learn a few things from car salespersons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I went to a dealership today to evaluate a new work truck. (Dodge Promaster 3500 extended box, it was super nice!) I made it clear that I was just there to walk around inside the truck to see if met my needs. I also made it clear there would be no sale made today as I was still in the early comparison shopping stage. Of course, that did not stop my salesman from using all the tricks to get me to drive out with a shiny new truck. I knew this would happen and was prepared to fend off the onslaught of begging and brow beating. (It didn't help that I just happened to be shopping on the last day of the month.)

As if I was having an out-of-body experience, I began observing just how he went about convincing me to buy. The little tricks. It took all of my stamina to resist. These are lessons we (those of us here who have to sell jobs) could learn from. Turning one "no" into a "yes" per week would be a lot of money.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I went to a dealership today to evaluate a new work truck. (Dodge Promaster 3500 extended box, it was super nice!) I made it clear that I was just there to walk around inside the truck to see if met my needs. I also made it clear there would be no sale made today as I was still in the early comparison shopping stage. Of course, that did not stop my salesman from using all the tricks to get me to drive out with a shiny new truck. I knew this would happen and was prepared to fend off the onslaught of begging and brow beating. (It didn't help that I just happened to be shopping on the last day of the month.)

As if I was having an out-of-body experience, I began observing just how he went about convincing me to buy. The little tricks. It took all of my stamina to resist. These are lessons we (those of us here who have to sell jobs) could learn from. Turning one "no" into a "yes" per week would be a lot of money.

So, what color is your new truck? ;)

Besoeker

Especially a used car salesman...........

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, what color is your new truck? ;)

In the past I have walked into dealers with no intention of buying and drove out with a new car, but not this time. Now that I have seen the shiny new (and expensive) truck, I'm having second thoughts about handing it over to an employee. Of course, that's the only reason to buy it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Especially a used car salesman...........

These days they do not want to sell new cars. There is a lot more money in used ones, both for the dealership and the sales person.

I ended up buying a new 2017 Grand Caravan. It was on the lot for a long time and I guess Dodge wanted to get rid of it so there were some serious incentives on it. It was only a few thousand more than a 2017 with 15,000 miles on it. I had the dickens of a time convincing the salesman to sell it to me though. He real bad wanted me to buy a used version of it.

Then of course you go through the financing nonsense. The finance guy wanted me to buy some kind of protection against going upside down on the loan. I told him I planned to make a big enough down payment that I would not have to worry about it. I wrote them a check for $5000 for the down payment. No worry about being upside down. I think it is probably the biggest check I have ever written.

Status
Not open for further replies.