Weatherhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi All,
I hope everyone is doing well. I have a customer that asked me to install a wether head on her service cable that is running horizontally under an overhang. Right now it does not have one. The electric company was out to restore her power after a tree took it down and told her she needs one. As we all now the code does not require a head as long as you put a gooseneck and tape it. I agree it would look much more finished with a head. Not to mention she is selling the home and I will bet the home inspector will say it’s wrong. She does not want any problems selling the home. With all that said, my question is...... does anyone know if they make a weather head that can be used on a 200 amp SE cable that is horizontal? I believe a traditional head is only to be used vertically. Any input would be helpful.

thanks,
Jim

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would just install a weather head and make them all happy. Here, the POCO is cracking down on weather heads that aren't vertical, apparently your POCO doesn't care. Personally I don't see a problem. I think water has a better chance of getting in when the head is vertical. And they do make something called Duct Seal. :happyyes:

-Hal

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks for the input. I’ll probably just tape it up to seal it then install the head. I am kind of surprised they don’t make one for horizontal installations though. Maybe something along the lines of a weatherproof connector with the head on the end with three bushed openings facing down in may be a 45° angle. This way I could sit underneath and overhang.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A gooseneck is NEC compliant but if they want a weatherhead then I would just install one. If the weatherhead is under the overhang I don't see why it cannot be horizontal. We have installed them that way for years.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
You could bend the SE down then back up--make kind of a U-shape--that leaves the end of the cable vertical. It would be a bit of a trap for water but that might actually help keep water from getting all the way down to the meter base.
With a little experience and patience, you can bend SEU cable and still keep it flat.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Actually I'm looking for something that says they have to be used vertically.

In the case of an SE weatherhead, the screw tab is going to be in the wrong position but if you are using it under an overhang there should be no problem shooting the screw up. Otherwise I can see the objection to using it horizontally is there is no means to fasten it to the wall

What I really question is conduit weather heads. I see no reason that they can't be used horizontally.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the weatherhead is not in a wet location I don't see why the orientation of it should matter.

480sparky

The standard, run-of-the-mill, plain-jane weatherheads we all know and love are designed to be used either a vertical or horizontal. They're at a 45° angle for just that reason.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you're on the underside of an overhang, that kind of horizontal works because the wires will emerge from the cup downward.

If it's a horizontal run on a vertical wall, then bend the last 6 to 8 inches upward at a 45-deg. angle, so again the cup opens down.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
hbiss said:
Actually I'm looking for something that says they have to be used vertically.

The standard, run-of-the-mill, plain-jane weatherheads we all know and love are designed to be used either a vertical or horizontal. They're at a 45° angle for just that reason.

That's what I thought also. There is nothing that says they have to be used only vertically.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's what I thought also. There is nothing that says they have to be used only vertically.

-Hal

I would check with the listing of the weatherhead before making that statement. From what I remember it's the listing of the SE cable weatherhead for use in a wet location that dictates it's orientation as vertical.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
I would check with the listing of the weatherhead before making that statement. From what I remember it's the listing of the SE cable weatherhead for use in a wet location that dictates it's orientation as vertical.

I can see no reference to the listing for this product I just happened to pick- Arlington #662, other than it's UL listed. There are no manufacturer instructions on orientation. NEC is silent on it. So as far as I'm concerned it's up to my discretion.

I would have no problem with using it facing down under an overhang with the screw through the support bracket going up into the soffit.

I would not mount it flat horizontally on a wall with the service conductors facing out. Bend a 90 in the SE so it's vertical.

I would not use it horizontally with the service conductors facing down on a wall because there is no way to fasten the support bracket. Again, bend and orientate your SE so it's vertical.

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/mast-parts/service-entrance-cable-caps/662

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.