Welder used as generator for house power

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasGSOHM

Occupation
EE
I think I discharged it at "C/20", 9 Ah/20h = a half amp per hour. Or close to it using a rheostat.

I kept the battery as a 12v source and took the large clips for projects. And I bought a tire inflator from Grainger for $100.

It said, do not plug it into a standard socket which is only good for 10A so I wired up clips to go directly off the battery.
The neighbor ignored this advice with his inflator and got away with it. . .?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There are at least three limitations to using a "power port" (formerly cigarette lighter socket) for more than 10A.
1. The sockets may not be rated for more than 10A, leading to overheating. But if they were actually designed for cigarette lighters, they probably tolerate heat pretty well. :)
2. There may be a 10A fuse in the circuit, and finding it and replacing it can be a real pain in some vehicles.
3 .In most passenger cars the power port is not energized when the ignition switch is off, limiting your use of devices plugged into it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On my Nighthawk 750, I wired a switched power port, for the GPS, TPMS, and phone charger in the left fairing pocket.

I also wired a cigarette lighter that's always hot, so I can use it, or a compressor without the key (and headlights) being on.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There are at least three limitations to using a "power port" (formerly cigarette lighter socket) for more than 10A.
1. The sockets may not be rated for more than 10A, leading to overheating. But if they were actually designed for cigarette lighters, they probably tolerate heat pretty well. :)
2. There may be a 10A fuse in the circuit, and finding it and replacing it can be a real pain in some vehicles.
3 .In most passenger cars the power port is not energized when the ignition switch is off, limiting your use of devices plugged into it.
I bought the heavy duty Goodyear branded consumer compressors for my wife and I for the cars. Constantly blowing the 20A fuse for the aux power. I got good at finding and replacing them. Occasionally the in-line fuse in the compressor would pop. The only way to make it work was to start the compressor, and then screw it onto the tire's Schrader valve while it was running.

Status
Not open for further replies.