Welding Receptacle on Lighting Panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I'm working on a expansion for a brownfield site. The client has a Switchboard which they feed all of their welding receptacles and HVAC equipment out of. They are out of space in the Switchboard and the only panelboard @ 480V that they have remaining is a lighting panelboard. I'm a little concerned that if I put a 30A-480V welding receptacle on the lighting panelboard, it could cause flickering on lighting through the facility when utilizing the welding outlet. The lighting panelboard is a 225A panelboard and the welding receptacle is about 300' away from the panelboard. I'm hoping the longer line length will eliminate some of the higher order harmonics from the remainder of the panelboard. Has anyone had experience with a similar installation and notice significant flicker? Lights in the building are 250W Metal Halide Lights.

Appreciate the help.

kwired

Electron manager
How long is the feeder to this lighting panelboard, voltage drop on that feeder is what is going to have the most impact when it comes to lighting flicker. Length to the welding outlet is somewhat insignificant as it doesn't carry current to the lighting.

How long is the feeder to this lighting panelboard, voltage drop on that feeder is what is going to have the most impact when it comes to lighting flicker. Length to the welding outlet is somewhat insignificant as it doesn't carry current to the lighting.

About 10 feet. The panelboard connects to a 150kVA dry-type delta-wye transformer.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

If anything, I would expect the longer run to the welder to reduce flicker from the initial inrush when striking the arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.