Westinghouse B10 1220CGT Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone familiar with a Westinghouse B10 1220CGT panel?

It currently has BD2020 (type: BRD) and Murray MP (220) breakers.

I would like to replace the 220 breakers with quad-circuit type such as the BQ2202220.

Does anyone know if these are compatible?

Or have a better suggestion for a quad-circuit breaker?

Thank you!

Right now, there are 3, 220 circuits and 12 110 circuits.

I need to end up with 6, 220 circuits and 14 110 circuits.

Can I use 6 quad-circuit breakers to create the 6 220 circuits and 12 110 circuits, and leave a couple of tandem 110 breakers for the remaining 110 circuits?

Or am I just being silly and should just change the panel?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
12 spaces + 14 is 26 spaces you have 12 full size spaces and 20 total counting tandem/quad spaces
Do a load calc too your feeder might not like all that on a 100 amp assuming you have a whole 100 amps. You might be able to adjust how your heating loads are set up too if the extra 220 is for that.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As Letgo said, you can not physically fit in what you need, which is 26 poles.

I suggest a 30-space 100a MB panel to avoid starting with tandem breakers.

You could use a smaller panel that accepts tandems if space is at a premium.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Eaton BR line is correct for that panel. The part that would say 'Use Westinghouse BR type or Challenger C type circuit breakers' or some such with more detail is the part of the label that's ripped away except for the word 'Use' and the lower part of 'Challenger C'. But the SCCR verbiage also refers to those breakers.

Other issues aside, you can use BQC quads. If you look closely the existing breakers will have similar part numbers.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
The only breaker left that can be changed out to a tandem or quad is the 2 pole that has green on it. Everything above that has to be full size breakers.

Do a panel changeout if needed.

The only breaker left that can be changed out to a tandem or quad is the 2 pole that has green on it. Everything above that has to be full size breakers.

Do a panel changeout if needed.

I'm certain you know more about than this, so please understand this is not a challenge.

Could you explain why the green 2 pole is the only one?

Why couldn't I swap out all the 2 poles for quad-breakers? Is it because the panel stubs/tabs are configured to not allow tandems (rejection feature?) in those positions (2, 3, 4)?

Thank you.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
I'm certain you know more about than this, so please understand this is not a challenge.

Could you explain why the green 2 pole is the only one?

Why couldn't I swap out all the 2 poles for quad-breakers? Is it because the panel stubs/tabs are configured to not allow tandems (rejection feature?) in those positions (2, 3, 4)?

Thank you.
Yes, look at the picture on the label you posted. It shows which positions can have tandems in the diagram.

1000000889.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.