westinghouse load resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

when i was in school we had old westinghouse load resistor banks. you would flip knife switches to various posisions to get different resistance readings when we were playing with DC and simpson multimeters.

does anybody know if they still make a load resistor setup like this to test circuits with?

im thinking i can use it to put small loads on circuits to troubleshoot tripping arc faults or voltage drop on long runs

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
It's sounds like you went to a pretty good school. I remember when I was in school the texts and teaching was great but the hands on was lacking. I used to do some pretty cool tests back at the apartment after school. I used to scared my new, young wife to death some times :D. So may tripped breakers and resistors on fire :D

GOOD TIMES!!!:D

Ah....I miss those good times.

electricalperson

we used to use just DC power in the lab where we got to use those resistors and simpson meters. we had small DC generators that we were coupled to a DC motor. we would put power to the motor and once it was up to speed we would switch power to the DC generator and it would run itself

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
we had small DC generators that we were coupled to a DC motor. we would put power to the motor and once it was up to speed we would switch power to the DC generator and it would run itself
I don't think so, Tim. :cool:

Coast down slowly, maybe. Perpetual motion, nu-uh.

ohm

I like to use something that makes noise, like a hole hawg or shop vac.

But be careful on MWBC's...you might fry them (or a TV) if you lift a neutral!

electricalperson

The load resistors you are talking about were most likely part of a wye/delta starter. Years ago I made a small load bank utilizing these.

its possible i dont really know where they came from

they were really old and very dangerous to touch when the power was on since all the blades were exposed and the resistors were exposed in the back

i dont remember the voltage we used

Status
Not open for further replies.