Wet Bathroom Switches and Receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prattz99

Occupation
Electrician
Hi,

I have a customer who is looking to build a wet bathroom in his pool house. Obviously I'll be planning to GFCI protect all the lighting and receptacles in there. But I don't know what else might be needed. Bonding? What kind of switches should I plan on using? Use a WR receptacles? I was going to use the dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker for the whole wet bathroom. Any other thoughts or tips from anyone who has ever done one of these would be greatly appreciated! I think I'll call the local inspector too.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
By wet bathroom , you mean that there is a showerhead and drain in the floor with no defined shower stall?

If so I don't think you are allowed to have a receptacle in that area. The light switch could be controlled by a motion sensor.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
By wet bathroom , you mean that there is a showerhead and drain in the floor with no defined shower stall?

If so I don't think you are allowed to have a receptacle in that area. The light switch could be controlled by a motion sensor.
(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be
installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

@prattz99
Otherwise, wet location receptacles are permitted with stipulations... see 406.9 in its entirety.

kwired

Electron manager
Art 100 definition of bathroom -

Bathroom.An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or similar plumbing fixtures.

If no basin in the same area it is not a bathroom regardless of whether the dwelling unit label gets applied to it or not.

Only required receptacles in bathrooms fall under 210.52 which applies to dwelling units. In the pool house I would think disqualifies it from needing to meet any dwelling unit bathroom requirements, so it is just an indoor wet location area. It can still be considered a dwelling accessory building though if on a residential property.

Then you have the already mentioned no receptacles allowed within tub or shower space - which possibly could be the entire room the way it sounds.

prattz99

Occupation
Electrician
Art 100 definition of bathroom -

Bathroom.An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or similar plumbing fixtures.

If no basin in the same area it is not a bathroom regardless of whether the dwelling unit label gets applied to it or not.

Only required receptacles in bathrooms fall under 210.52 which applies to dwelling units. In the pool house I would think disqualifies it from needing to meet any dwelling unit bathroom requirements, so it is just an indoor wet location area. It can still be considered a dwelling accessory building though if on a residential property.

Then you have the already mentioned no receptacles allowed within tub or shower space - which possibly could be the entire room the way it sounds.

It has a basin and is a fully functional bathroom besides the shower and drain being open and totally uncontained. I was told today that he's planning on having a Kohler smart toilet in there now too. I'll read the suggested code references and I'll reach out to the electrical inspector to see what he thinks and requires.

kwired

Electron manager
It has a basin and is a fully functional bathroom besides the shower and drain being open and totally uncontained. I was told today that he's planning on having a Kohler smart toilet in there now too. I'll read the suggested code references and I'll reach out to the electrical inspector to see what he thinks and requires.
Is it all crammed into a tight space where shower spray can hit everything? Otherwise even though there is no definite shower wall within the room you still would have a zone that you call the shower stall(s). Where that zone ends could be debatable but just keep wiring devices clear of the obviously too close areas and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.