What are rules for double-tapping breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

torcho

Re: What are rules for double-tapping breakers

Just to add, I think Square D breakers are only listed for (2) copper conductors, I'm not sure about CH (I don't use it much) Not that we use a lot of aluminum wiring, but I figured I'd bring it up.

allenwayne

I for s _ _ _ t`s and giggles went this week to get a home inspector for $12.95 a year.But that is in one conty if I want to get another county kick in the additional $12.95.To be state certified i found an online class that sends the certificate of completion to be a home inspector,comes with a raised stamp :D

Originally posted by allenwayne:
But at around $300.00/inspection and what 1 1/2 hours
Just a quick thing I did and it cost me less than $100.00 to do it :D
I don't know about where you live, but the required insurance and bonding for that field result in a higher cost than $300 per MONTH, where I live. I wouldn't hire an unbonded inspector, and wouldn't inspect with out insurance.

After all, what happens when you miss a defect, and it results in serious property damage, personal injury, or even death?

jim k

Originally posted by allenwayne:
I for s _ _ _ t`s and giggles went this week to get a home inspector for $12.95 a year.But that is in one conty if I want to get another county kick in the additional $12.95.To be state certified i found an online class that sends the certificate of completion to be a home inspector,comes with a raised stamp :D
There are lots of certification mills for home inspectors out there and lots and lots of unqualified home inspectors.

Though I'm sure your post is tongue-in-cheek, there really are a ton (maybe several tons) of home inspectors who get into it because they believe that they can spend 1-1/2 hours on an inspection and rake in big bucks. It ain't as easy as it looks, and it sure as hell ain't as lucrative as it looks.

I'm a small, one-man operation. Been at it for almost 14 years now. I WISH my costs were only $300 per month. My expenses last year topped $40,000. If I were to miss a serious problem in a house, that figure would double or even triple.

The vast majority of home inspectors out there fail in business within 3 years. (The last research figures I had showed that only 1 in 17 inspectors survived the first three years.) Almost all fail because they're under capitalized and under qualified.

In general, the ones who show up on this board are honest, inquisitive and trying to better themselves and do a better job for their customers.

Treat 'em nice and the karma will come back at you someday.

Oh, and if, by some chance, you're really serious about a change of profession, let me know and I'll give you all the free advice you want. (Start by getting that 1-1/2 hour thing out of your head. A decent home inspection takes a solid 4 hours to do.)

- Jim K

tonype

Jim K.

I hear you.

My E&O insurance was over $10,000 this year, with a $7,500 deductible. How about another $12,000 for health insurance - these are just some of the "little" expenses that a previous writer did not think about. Or Workers Comp, vehicle insurance, business liability insurance, private disability insurance, etc. Most of us are 1 to 2 person outfits that do not have a company to provide these benefits. Our expenses are very similar to those of anyone in the trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.