What code year to study? What test to take? Aiming for NABCEP eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am studying for NABCEP Solar PV certification and I thought that studying for and taking a national journeyman electrician exam (ICC or Prometric or something else?) would help me prepare and immerse myself in the code. I live in a right-to-work state with no statewide journeyman electrical licensure. Starting with this March's testing cycle, NABCEP has moved to the NEC 2011. However, my state is still on 2008. It also seems like ICC doesn't have a national 2011 test listed on their website yet. I already have a 2011 handbook, but I read that you can't bring that into the exam, so I'd need to buy another codebook anyway (but 2011 or 2008?)

Any general advice? What journeyman level electrical exam should I take to help me prepare for NABCEP? Any recommended study material/courses?

Unfortunately, it doesn't. My first attempt at a post (which I lost due to a session time out) mentioned that I already have passed the entry level exam by NABCEP. I've also heard from multiple sources that the big NABCEP exam is harder than your basic journeyman electrician exam, and very code heavy. So, I figured studying for and taking a journeyman exam was a good way to prepare. I just don't know enough about all the different exam options to know where to start.

My tenative plan is to buy some Mike Holt 2011 exam prep books (not exactly sure what yet) and work through those. Also planning on getting Delmar's Standard Textbook because Prometric recommends it. And then I guess waiting until ICC starts their 2011 testing and taking the national journeyman exam. Any suggestions or forseeable faults in my tenative plan? Any other book recommendations? Opinions of the various exams (and how likely/soon ICC will start their 2011 testing)?

Status
Not open for further replies.