What color is a 208 hi-leg ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffee260

The NEC says that 480 volt wires are yellow, orange and brown with either a gray or white for the grounded conductor. Then it says that for a 208/120 system that you have black, red and blue with a white for the grounded conductor. If you have a 120/240 delta system with the 208 hi-leg, what color is this wire supposed to be. Some POCO's say it is orange. But would this not colflict with the 480 setup? Would you use a blue with orange tape also? How do you other guys color this phase?

jwelectric

Re: What color is a 208 hi-leg ?

Originally posted by dduffee260:
The NEC says that 480 volt wires are yellow, orange and brown with either a gray or white for the grounded conductor. Then it says that for a 208/120 system that you have black, red and blue with a white for the grounded conductor. If you have a 120/240 delta system with the 208 hi-leg, what color is this wire supposed to be. Some POCO's say it is orange. But would this not colflict with the 480 setup? Would you use a blue with orange tape also? How do you other guys color this phase?
where do you find this. Please help me because I can not find this statement any where. I have used the search on the CD and it can't find it.
:p

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

dduffee260, you can go Here for a color code thread or click on "search" under
postpoll.gif
and search the NEC forum for High Leg Color Code.

The NEC says that 480 volt wires are yellow, orange and brown with either a gray or white for the grounded conductor. Then it says that for a 208/120 system that you have black, red and blue with a white for the grounded conductor.
The NEC doesn't say this anywhere.

The High Leg can be identified a number of ways, but the most common is orange.

Due to some misinterpretation of articles 230.56, many think this is the only allowed marking, but 215.8 has additional wording that specifically points out alternative ways to identify this conductor.

Roger

[ June 25, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by dduffee260:
If you have a 120/240 delta system with the 208 hi-leg, what color is this wire supposed to be. Some POCO's say it is orange. But would this not colflict with the 480 setup? Would you use a blue with orange tape also? How do you other guys color this phase?
110.15 requires that the high-leg be marked orange when the neutral is present.

There are no requirements for BOY or BRB. They are accepted norms and not enforced by the NEC. You should verify voltages with a meter.

Regarding a high leg, the other requirements are found in 215.8, 230.56, and 408.3(E).

In 408.3(E), note that the high leg is to be the "B" phase, unless the POCO has connected to a different point in the same enclosure. POCO's often put the high leg on the "C" phase, and mark it red. After that point, the high leg should be landed on the "B" phase. Personally, I have identified conductors in the meter "Black, Blue, Orange" at the service, and then "Black, Orange, Blue" at locations beyond that, but I'm not sure if that's consistent with established norms. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Morning, Roger! :)

Originally posted by roger:
Due to some misinterpretation of articles 230.56, many think this is the only allowed marking, but 215.8 has additional wording that specifically points out alternative ways to identify this conductor.
Can you elaborate? I see "tagging, or other effective means." I assume this is what you are referring to, but I fail to understand what you're getting at. :)

jmcinty2

First off, 120/208Y volt systems do not have a HI-LEG. 120/240 volt grounded Delta systems generate a Hi-leg. Utility in PA. requires center leg to be colored orange for Hi-leg.

First time replying to post. I enjoy the topics on this site very much. Seems like a lot of knowledgeable people respond to the posts.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by jmcinty2:
First off, 120/208Y volt systems do not have a HI-LEG. 120/240 volt grounded Delta systems generate a Hi-leg.
The original poster was referring to a delta 120/240, the high leg voltage to ground is roughly 208V, coincidentally. :)

highkvoltage

Section 110.15. Meter base center lug. Panels phase B. Orange in color. As other posters have said 120/208 with a high leg. :confused:

[ June 25, 2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: highkvoltage ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by highkvoltage:
Section 110.15. Meter base center lug. Panels phase B. Orange in color.
we can't stop reading there, it goes on to say "or by other effective means" this could be tagging, numbering, another standardized color already established, etc...

Good afternoon George, I wasn't getting at anything necessarily, I was just commenting on some conversations I have had with some who haven't noticed the additional wording after the "orange in color", and therefor have had some confusion with applying another identification in some industrial settings we deal with.

Roger

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

As far as I am concerned, the "by other means" is for grandfathering in existing equipment.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jim dungar:
As far as I am concerned, the "by other means" is for grandfathering in existing equipment.
Can you show me where the NEC says that? ;)

The NEC is not retroactive so they do not have to insert language for 'grandfathering'.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Grandfather was a poor choice of words. I meant that the 110.15 and 230.56 phrase "other effective means" was included to allow new installations in areas with existing non-orange systems.

I know there have been discussions (see handbook explanation for 230.56) on whether the phrase modifies the color or the method (permanent outer finish). Definitely the NEC style, in regards to the use of commas, is not consistent between 110.15 and 230.56.

rsvetti

Code is roughly as follows: 480v systems require the stinger to be orange and landed on phase B.

Code also states that phase arrangements shall be durably marked at the source and carried throughout the remainder of the system.

Reality: Prior to 1975 phase arrangements required the high leg to be installed in the C position -- then changed to B.

Due to this, we get a lot of variation. The code does not specify high leg arrangements for the 240 Delta systems probably due to prior installation codes. Instead we are given the requirement of continuing the arrangements marked at the source or panel throughout the rest of the system (With the exception of meter enclosures where space is limited and utilities often call for phase C as the high leg. As such, meter enclosures are almost always rated "C phase being high leg").

The code does not specify exact color coding for the high leg either. Again, we are given the code "Phase arrangements shall be durably marked at the source (or panel) and be continued throughout the electrical system. Most common colors are orange and violet. Usually, orange.

As always, I'm open to rebutle on this one.

-RSvetti

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

RS,
I've never heard of a 480 volt system with a high leg. What do they use it for?
Also the code rules involving the location and identification of the high leg do not specify a voltage. They apply to all 4 wire delta systems with the midpoint of one phase grounded.
Don

rsvetti

Beyond that, I have been taught and have noticed a general occurance of phasing arrangement for 120v legs of all systems.

L1 or primary hot leg - Black
L2 or secondary hot leg - Red
L3 or third hot leg - Blue

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by rsvetti:
Beyond that, I have been taught and have noticed a general occurance of phasing arrangement for 120v legs of all systems.

L1 or primary hot leg - Black
L2 or secondary hot leg - Red
L3 or third hot leg - Blue
This may be what you were taught and in general a trade accepted practice, but it is not in the NEC.

I must also ask, where have you seen a high leg in a 480 v delta system?

Roger

[ June 28, 2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.