What Determines the number of machines on a single disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsmith

I have a fused disconnect (15 amps) coming off a 3 Phase 480VAC XFMR. What determines the number of machines I can have connected to the disconnect? It is currently powering a single 480VAC twist lock outlet being used to test various machines that come in and out of our shop.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Off the top of my head I would think that two of the determining factors would be (a) proper protection of each piece of equipment and (b) load diversification.
If the equipment or NEC requires a certain size OCP, then you must provide that. Beyond that, load diversification would be taken into consideration. protection.
Your disconnect could feed any number of 15 amp receptacles as long as 15 amp meets the protection requirement and no
more equipment is used simultaneously than the protection allows. For example, you could have 10 outlets at various locations for convenience in moving equipment or for 10 individual pieces of equipment.

Nsmith

So there is no rules governing branch circuits for industrial machinery like there would be for residential?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So there is no rules governing branch circuits for industrial machinery like there would be for residential?

Sure, but where to start? You want to know how many receptacles per circuit, how many machines per circuit, balancing circuits...
I think Augie47 pretty much summed it up:)

Status
Not open for further replies.