What do the bullets (dots) mean between some articles in the 08 nec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. This is my first post, yeehaa. I would like to know what do the bullets (dots) mean between some articles in the 08 nec? As seen in the middle of 230.53 and 230.54. The more infomation the better when it comes to this 822 page riddle, i mean book. :confused:

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

The dot separates the Article number from the section number.

For instance 240.21 is Article 240 section 21. the numbering will go on to represent subsections etc..

So for example 240.21(C) would be Article 240 section 21 subsection (C).

Hope this helps

Chris

robh

On the bottom of the very first page of the NFPA 70 National Electrical Code, highlighted in gray shading you will see the following:

This 2008 edition includes the following usability features as aids to the user. Changes other than editorial are highlighted with gray shading within sections and with vertical ruling for large blocks of changed or new text and for new tables and changed or new figures. Where one or more complete paragraphs have been deleted, the deletion is indicated by a bullet ( . ) between the paragraphs that remain. The index now has dictionary-style headers with helpful identifiers at the top of every index page.

It tells you that something has been removed from the book in that spot, that was there in the last edition.

Last edited:

jumper

This 2008 edition includes the following usability features as aids to the user. Changes other than
editorial are highlighted with gray shading within sections and with vertical ruling for large blocks of
changed or new text and for new tables and changed or new figures. Where one or more complete
paragraphs have been deleted, the deletion is indicated by a bullet (?) between the paragraphs that
remain.

This dot?

I take too long to post.

Last edited:
On the bottom of the very first page of the NFPA 70 National Electrical Code, highlighted in gray shading you will see the following:

This 2008 edition includes the following usability features as aids to the user. Changes other than editorial are highlighted with gray shading within sections and with vertical ruling for large blocks of changed or new text and for new tables and changed or new figures. Where one or more complete paragraphs have been deleted, the deletion is indicated by a bullet ( . ) between the paragraphs that remain. The index now has dictionary-style headers with helpful identifiers at the top of every index page.

It tells you that something has been removed from the book in that spot, that was there in the last edition.

Awsome. Makes sence that it would usually be locatedbetween the articles. It was one of those things that just kept buggin me. Thanks

SOLAR SHOCK

where is it!???

where is it!???

So this post subject here is exactly the subject I was looking for but I am still frustrated!!!
The answer to the question has not been answered with a location of the subject.
I see answers like:Where one or more complete paragraphs have been deleted, the deletion is indicated by a bullet ( . ) between the paragraphs that remain. The index now has dictionary-style headers with helpful identifiers at the top of every index page.
And:Where one or more complete
paragraphs have been deleted, the deletion is indicated by a bullet (?) between the paragraphs that
remain.

These are two different answers with no NEC number.
Answers like this is at the first page at the bottom is not a proper answer.
I need a chapter, section # , article etc. in the format NEC_ _ _ _ _ _
I am just so frustrated right now. I cant find it. I had little trouble finding how to calculate voltage drop but to find a simple thing like this in the 2008 NEC is just getting my goat.

Anyone know the 2008 NEC location of this?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Lighten up, Solar Shock! On this forum, we treat each other with professionalism and respect.

The first answer was incorrect, and the person who posted that answer admitted that he initially misunderstood the question. The correct answer was given in post #3. There is no NEC chapter, section, or article number, since the numbering does not begin until later in the book. Take the book, open the cover, look at the bottom of the first page, and the answer is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.