What do they call you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
As an instructor, how do you like to be addressed?
Mr. you first name or last or students call you just by your first name

Is one better over the other? do you think calling the instructor by the first name creates a more relaxed environment for the students or you think calling the instructor by MR. last name creates a boundary & environment of respect?

Thanks for your replires.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We called our apprenticeship instructors by first name. Ours teach class at a college at night and the apprenticeship class always seemed a lot more casual than a regular college class where you always addressed the teachers as Mr., Mrs, etc.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
We called our apprenticeship instructors by first name. Ours teach class at a college at night and the apprenticeship class always seemed a lot more casual than a regular college class where you always addressed the teachers as Mr., Mrs, etc.

Same here. I took a college PV course last summer and we call the instructor by his first name. I think that is becoming the standard practice of late.

When I teach radio classes, sometimes I don't even tell the students my last name. It's likely I will introduce myself as such, 'My name is Mark and my call sign is K8MHZ'.

ritelec

I think on a first name bases is cool and works....BUT........ I think there should be a separation for the chain and respect. Dr. Gladstone.......Dr. Bob.........a bit different..............

Short hair commands respect???? So would the title.

Here........... yo Barack vs. Mr. President.....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
People have become far less formal then was once common. I think in general that is a good thing.

I call my chiropractor Dr. Scott (Scott being his first name). I don't even recall his last name off the top of my head.

I think whatever you and the guy you are talking with are both comfortable with is fine.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
As so many other things.....................................poor USA..............poor humanity.

What is so bad about it? 40 years ago when I was in school, it was all last names, not first, and usually we only used the first letter of the last name. For instance, Mr. Vandersteldt was called Mr. V. Or, when out of earshot it was just the last name, like 'You wouldn't believe what Vandersteldt wants us to do'.

We did call some of the teachers by first name, usually the younger male ones. Mr. V was Dennis or Denny. One of our teachers was 'Miles'. That was his name, Miles Olsen. He liked being called 'Miles'.

The older we get, the better we think we used to be.

Besoeker

I'm an old guy and a Brit.
Other than some of our older establishments like Parliament where members are formally addressed by each other, at least whilst there, formality is generally fading out. That said, if you were introduced to Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles the correct response, however appropriate, might not be "Hi jug ears and horse face"

Back on topic...
I've been on both sides of the classroom. Formal for academic qualifications. I was Mr Mac for that and the lecturers were "sir". Except the physics guy, Dr S, who referred to me as "Ging". Ginger hair.

But that was four decades ago and times move on.
When asked, we provide training on our kit. Often, that lands in my court.
And I receive training mostly to validate my safety credentials.
In both cases, the formality is dropped and first names are used.
In my opinion that makes things more relaxed. More open. Participants are less likely to feel uncomfortable about asking for a point to be explained or to say that they don't understand.

Just my take.

ritelec

Can you become knighted............................."sir".

was also thinking judges, lawyers......... my opinion...........you are not their friend..........you are there superior. There teacher, mentor, someone deserving of respect *( so don't roll one up and go behind a building somewhere as you will become an equal...........).

enough said.........Sir Edward.

:thumbsup:

* re?spect   [ri-spekt]
noun
a particular, detail, or point (usually preceded by in ): to differ in some respect.
relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
I ahve found that keeping things on a more informal basis, i.e., first name basis usually results in a better enviroment---however comma, that being said there still needs to be the respect and everyone needs to know you are in charge--respect works both ways here.;

RICK NAPIER

I think it depends on your relationship to the students. I give seminars so my students are peers and as such address me by my first name. In a high school vocational setting for example the same relationship may not be as appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.