What Do You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
If you had a 320A meter feeding two 200A panels in a single family residence, and the panels are side by side do you fill one up with circuits and then finish the circuits in the second?Or split the circuits between the two, leaving available spaces in both?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you had a 320A meter feeding two 200A panels in a single family residence, and the panels are side by side do you fill one up with circuits and then finish the circuits in the second?Or split the circuits between the two, leaving available spaces in both?
Not that I encounter this situation much (at all?), I would split the circuits across the two panels leaving more work space in each.
Unless there is some logical relationship to split the circuits by, such as important loads for a later optional generator system with ATS.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would split the load between the two panels, in any event. But if it were my house, I would select specific circuits that I would want to have (someday) backed up by a generator. I would put those circuits, and only those circuits, on one of the panels. All other circuits would go on the other panel. The circuits I would set aside for possible future backup would include at least one light (or receptacle I could use for a floor lamp) in each room, any receptacle I would plan to use for a refrigerator or freezer, the fireplace fan, and the receptacle that serves the alarm system. I might include receptacles for a TV or computer.

PetrosA

I like the idea of prepping one for a generator panel, but more often than not around here (and there are a LOT of McMansion style houses here with 320A services) you see heavy loads like appliances and 240V stuff in one panel and lighting/receptacles in the other. Both generally have free space available. I don't think the homeowners are involved with electrical planning for most of these homes so decisions are made by the builder or EC doing the house.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Yeah the generator-ready panel is a good idea and one I'll definitely keep in the back of my mind.

Never really gave it much thought but I guess you would need to plan it out so you don't overload a panel or load a panel up to 200 amps but still have breaker spaces available, etc.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
you leave both mostly empty

one is for the ac, a local main and a subpanel or two
the other is the same with more ac, more subpanels,a few spaces for driveway lights, a convenience outlet and gate opener
like he said, stagger the cbs so no two side by side are over rating for the buss

dont forget to make the uffer and the water bond really visible [accessible]
i'm guessing 10,000 ft^2 house

we used to do "chateaus" oris that chateaux

Status
Not open for further replies.