What do you normally do? cut UF wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

Just got a call about a UF wire that got cut that goes underground to a poolhouse/shed.

I don't know where it's cut I won't look at it until tommorow. If it's in the middle of the run is their a direct burial splice kit or something? Or would you just recommend running a new circuit in pipe?

ceb58

Depends on what the customer wants/ can afford. If you get into splicing take a 2-3 ft pc. with you and some underground splice kits.

Speshulk

Keep in mind that if the break is bad and the two existing ends no longer reach each other, you'll need enough splice kit to make two splices in each wire in the cable.

hurk27

There are many methods of repairing UF, but I question is UF even code compliant running to this shed? if it feeds pool equipment it may not be. see 680.21 for branch circuits or 680.25 for feeders.

kwired

Electron manager
There are many methods of repairing UF, but I question is UF even code compliant running to this shed? if it feeds pool equipment it may not be. see 680.21 for branch circuits or 680.25 for feeders.

That is good information, good luck convincing customer to replace the whole thing when all they called for is to fix the damaged cable. Just saying...

KVA

Looked at the job today...

It wasn't a cut UF cable it was a pool temperature sensor wire cut in half from a weed whacker.

He has a digital control panel for his inground pool i think an intermatic pool/spa subpanel combo.

He asked how much a new sensor runs I said between $35-$60 He said just splice it.

Another high end home with a huge inground pool, pool house, huge deck built out of trex. They run a business and he is flying out of the country....

:lol::lol::lol:

Speshulk

Interesting point. If you're called to repair damage and the original installation wasn't done according to the NEC, how do you guys handle it? If you point out that it's a violation, but the owner just wants you to fix it, do you? I wonder about the liability after the fact.

kwired

Electron manager
Looked at the job today...

It wasn't a cut UF cable it was a pool temperature sensor wire cut in half from a weed whacker.

He has a digital control panel for his inground pool i think an intermatic pool/spa subpanel combo.

He asked how much a new sensor runs I said between $35-$60 He said just splice it.

Another high end home with a huge inground pool, pool house, huge deck built out of trex. They run a business and he is flying out of the country....

:lol::lol::lol:

If some physical protection is not included weed whacker will get it again someday.

480sparky

Interesting point. If you're called to repair damage and the original installation wasn't done according to the NEC, how do you guys handle it? If you point out that it's a violation, but the owner just wants you to fix it, do you? I wonder about the liability after the fact.

Simply note on your invoice that a violation was found and the owner refused to rectify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.