What I learned from Sq D rep today

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Two Square D reps stopped by the HD where I work and we had a nice chat. Did you know that QO stands for quick open? Did you know that beginning in '06, Homeline breakers are internally the same as the QO line? Meaning they both have thermal and magnetic trip mechanisms.

mdshunk

Talk to your Square D rep real nice, and he'll give you one of these cool clear AFCI breakers. Pretty neat to see what's inside:

P1010239.jpg

P1010245.jpg

P1010246.jpg

P1010243.jpg

P1010244.jpg

What I think is most interesting is that you can clearly see the zero sequence CT.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Talk to your Square D rep real nice, and he'll give you one of these cool clear AFCI breakers.

Gee, I'm not so sure Marc. To get a prize like that I'll bet some hugs were involved. :)

cadpoint

No, I didn't know all that but I do know that a with their breakers there is not a problem ever with breaker replacement, in respects to their products line, and the years that have gone by. :grin:

mdshunk

wirebender said:
Cool, a group hug smiley. I'm saving that one.

One other neat thing about the clear AFCI breaker is that you can see that the electronics trip the breaker mechanism with an old-fashioned solenoid pushrod.

wirebender

mdshunk said:
Cool, a group hug smiley. I'm saving that one.

One other neat thing about the clear AFCI breaker is that you can see that the electronics trip the breaker mechanism with an old-fashioned solenoid pushrod.

Okay, Marc, you can use it if you make up with Peter D.:D

brian john

From a financial stand point this makes sense. Cheaper to have one assembly line of CB interiors. Though China will file a complaint with the WTO..

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
mark32 said:
Two Square D reps stopped by the HD where I work and we had a nice chat. Did you know that QO stands for quick open? Did you know that beginning in '06, Homeline breakers are internally the same as the QO line? Meaning they both have thermal and magnetic trip mechanisms.

They are partially wrong. QO does not stand for quick open, although 1P 15A and 20A QO breakers do have a Qwick-Open feature. I have technical information on QO breakers that goes back to the early 60's (they were introduced in the late 50's). This is definitely an "urban legend".

The first Square D residential breakers were type MO, then came the type XO, and finally QO. I have never found the proof but I believe this breaker should have originally been called Q-zero as the next breaker in the family was the Q1 (70-100A), followed by the Q2 (110-225A), and finally the Q4 (250-400A).

They were correct that the QO and HOM breakers have always had the same internal parts and tripping characteristics.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
fireryan said:
so how does a afci actually detect a fault?
Seriously?

Both (or all three for a 2p unit) circuit conductors pass through a ferrite ring that has a smaller coil wrapped around it on one side. That coil feeds a circuit that feeds a magnetic tripping mechanism.

As long as the current is equal through all conductors, no magnetic field is induced in the small coil. If the flow isn't equal, a voltage is developed in the coil. When it reaches a set point, the mechanism trips.

quogueelectric

LarryFine said:
Seriously?

Both (or all three for a 2p unit) circuit conductors pass through a ferrite ring that has a smaller coil wrapped around it on one side. That coil feeds a circuit that feeds a magnetic tripping mechanism.

As long as the current is equal through all conductors, no magnetic field is induced in the small coil. If the flow isn't equal, a voltage is developed in the coil. When it reaches a set point, the mechanism trips.
I believe that is a gfci characteristic an afci is a little more involved.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
I thought perhaps Square D was announcing a new 'Hospital Grade' product line.....

I thought perhaps Square D was announcing a new 'Hospital Grade' product line.....

Sorry, I couldn't help it....

Status
Not open for further replies.