What is a good quality Wireless 3 way switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a DIY customer that wired his own small guest house and he forgot to run his traveler wires between the 3 way switches. Can anybody give some suggestions on some wireless switches that work well so I don't get a ton of callbacks for not working properly.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We have used Leviton. Don't recall any callbacks, but they could have just quit using it once it failed. That still equals No callbacks.:p
The simplest flavor, giving you an SPST master and a battery powered remote (6696-W) is not listed to work with CFLs or LEDs, although the trick of adding a small (~15W) incandescent to the load circuit has been reported to work.
This particular flavor does not require any wiring at the remote(s).
None of the wireless solutions should be confused with the multi-way products that require a communication wire that links all of the switch locations but does not carry load current.

PS: Any models that include dimming are even less likely to work with CFL or LED. I have seen a description that the light comes on in two steps over a couple of seconds, which could damage non-dimmable lamps.

I do have hot and neutral at both ends so I was hoping to get away without using anything battery operated. Thanks for the replies

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a DIY customer that wired his own small guest house and he forgot to run his traveler wires between the 3 way switches. Can anybody give some suggestions on some wireless switches that work well so I don't get a ton of callbacks for not working properly.

DIY and customer doesn't belong in the same sentence!:happyno:

Anyway, try this:

http://www.lightningswitch.com/

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Lightning switch looks good with no batteries or AC required at the transmitter, but I do not see any receivers that replace a switch device and offer local control.
Maybe not the thing for the OP's application.

Tapatalk!

kwired

Electron manager
Pull string switch on the luminaire, a few eye bolts and long piece of string to run to each "switch" location.:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.