What is a hickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

It's usually a large bolt or fastener, internal in a box but might also interface with the old device it'a serving. For example a bolt through interlocked piece that fastens the box and holds the light beyond as well.

It's old school stuff not many box's come with hickey's today, I think the closet things today is, cut in boxes have that have a metal tab with a bolt to hold the circuit.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That article refers to what's called a fixture hickey and is used to mount fixtures to the threaded stud in the back of the box.

wcf7.gif

realolman

thanks for posting that... I have often wondered myself what the heck a hickey was.:dunce:

I also often thought that more of the terms used in the NEC should be defined in the definitions

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We also call a rigid hand bender a hickey but that is clearly not what was being discussed. I think a hickey may also refer to lots of fixture parts.

Remember the crows foot. Some would call this a hickey also

22913.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I call this a hickey

images

yup that's a hickey. They come in different thread sizes , some really beefy cast iron. These are the proper devices to hang those heavy fixtures with , not the rube goldberg stuff I see lately. I carry them on the truck too!:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.