What is a transformer "J-Tap"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza_Guy

Occupation
Engineer
I am specifying transformers that include +/-2.5% taps. (2FCAN, 4FCBN) but vendors are asking if "J-Taps" are acceptable.
We have other transformers on site with taps to use at different MV levels (14400, 13800, 13200, 12870, 12470, 12000, 11700). Our primary distribution is all 12470V, and the +/-2.5% would be more useful.

What's the difference? And what are "J-Taps"? From my research, both systems are J-taps, only the taps are physically on different windings.
1642088213530.png

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
maybe the difference is that you wire the incoming phase conductors to the same terminals and then connect the tap wire to the tap instead of connecting your incoming conductors to the tap directly.

Pizza_Guy

Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, that's the first thing that popped up on Google. Pretty sure that's not it.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I think "J-taps" might refer to the shape of the jumper on a transformer schematic symbol like the one below. The jumpers to complete the delta connection are on one end of each winding.

Transformer_Taps-J.jpg

That's compared to having the jumpers across two taps in the middle of each winding like below.

Transformer_Taps-C2.jpg

That said, it's still a guess.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
X) NO TAPS
A) 2 - 5% FCBN
C) 4 - 2/5% FCBN (Series Connected ) 2-5 % FCBN (Parallel Connected)
D) 6 - 2.5% 2 FCAN, 4 FCBN
E) 4 - 2.5% 2 FCAN, 2 FCBN
F) 2 - 5% 1 FCAN, 1 FCBN
H) 3 - 5% 1 FCAN, 2FCBN
J) 6 - 2.5% 4-FCBN, 2-FCAN, (Series Connected) 3 - 2-5% FCBN 1-5% FCAN (Parallel Connected)

I think your asking for “D” taps, and he is asking if you can get by with “J” taps.
That pretty much covers everything most of the time.

Pizza_Guy

Occupation
Engineer
X) NO TAPS
A) 2 - 5% FCBN
C) 4 - 2/5% FCBN (Series Connected ) 2-5 % FCBN (Parallel Connected)
D) 6 - 2.5% 2 FCAN, 4 FCBN
E) 4 - 2.5% 2 FCAN, 2 FCBN
F) 2 - 5% 1 FCAN, 1 FCBN
H) 3 - 5% 1 FCAN, 2FCBN
J) 6 - 2.5% 4-FCBN, 2-FCAN, (Series Connected) 3 - 2-5% FCBN 1-5% FCAN (Parallel Connected)

I think your asking for “D” taps, and he is asking if you can get by with “J” taps.
That pretty much covers everything most of the time.
This makes a lot of sense. Do you have a source for this? i’d like to share it with the team, to avoid further confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.