What is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlundsrud

This was given to me about 5 years ago. The curious thing about it is the thickness of the glass. The only marking on it is the number 01 molded in the glass just above the base. In 30+ years in the trades I have never see another one like it. I feel certain its not an antique but I really don't know how old it is. I would really appreciate it if someone could satiate my curiosity on this.

Thanks

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200511-002248_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200511-002248_Gallery.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 78

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I agree with a previous poster. It is probably a rough service bulb. Usually the only real difference is the filiment is stronger and better supported. Some of them are coated with plastic to make them shatter resistent too.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Here is an early version:

Latter version:

These were sold up until the early 2000s in hardware stores and home centers that carried Sylvania.

There is no vacuum in these bulbs that I know of, you can literally pry the screw shell off.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired

Latter version:

These were sold up until the early 2000s in hardware stores and home centers that carried Sylvania.

There is no vacuum in these bulbs that I know of, you can literally pry the screw shell off.

How would the filament not burn out? Unless it is a lamp inside a lamp (capsulite).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Halogen Capsule.
The inner capsule is a standard quartz halogen bulb. The protective outside shell served two (maybe 3 if you count light diffusion) purposes.
It blocked the UV radiation that came through the quartz capsule unimpeded. Notice that quartz capsule luminaires always have a glass filter, even when they only give indirect light.
The second is to contain the potential hot sharp fragments when the quartz capsule occasionally explodes.

rlundsrud

Why did they make the glass so thick. It must be at least 1/2 thick throughout. It is incredibly heavy. I cant imagine what the price point on these must have been.

And why no manufacturers markings or watt rating info on it?

rlundsrud

Latter version:

The later version is definitely it, i wonder why i have never seen one before this.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
They are marginally more energy efficient that standard incandescent, enough that manufacturing and selling them is still permitted. And you cannot beat that CRI of 100. (Duh, compared to tungsten of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.