What is load diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
Can anyone explain what load diversity is ? I’m looking at (NEC 2017) 310.15 (B) (3) (a) Informational note 1. Can I put 16 #12 thhn in a 3/4 emt if I have load diversity and still meet my ampacity adjustmen requirements? (70%x30amps) from Table B 310.15(B) (2) (11) thanks for the information.

Last edited:
I just looked at my 2008 and it has a FPN referencing annex B for situations with load diversity. 2014 has no such note. I do not have a 2017, but from what you say they put in informational note back in. Strange. Anyway, my understanding is you can only apply diversity under engineering supervision per 310.15(C).

Carultch

Can anyone explain what load diversity is ? I’m looking at (NEC 2017) 310.15 (B) (3) (a) Informational note 1. Can I put 16 #12 thhn in a 3/4 emt if I have load diversity and still meet my ampacity adjustmen requirements? (70%x30amps) from Table B 310.15(B) (2) (11) thanks for the information.

The short answer for the definition of load diversity, is the fact that not all loads will run full capacity at once. Some will run now, some will run later. Some loads may be mutually exclusive, like heating and air conditioning. It is what allows us to put a lot more than 200A worth of circuits, in a 200A panelboard.

kwired

Electron manager
Outside this load diversity subject you still can put 16 #12's in same raceway if supplying fixed loads and the load on each one is under 15 amps, and you don't need further adjustment for ambient temp.

Supplying general use receptacle outlets you can't go with 15 amps of load if on a 20 amp overcurrent device though.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The short answer for the definition of load diversity, is the fact that not all loads will run full capacity at once. Some will run now, some will run later.
And even if they all run at the same time, some of them might be running at less than their full load value. OK, this explains that the loads can be diverse. But it does not provide a definition of the two word phrase, "load diversity," as that phrase is used in the Informational Note cited in post #1. If you were interested in hiring me, as a PE, to perform an ampacity calculation that takes advantage of the NEC's method for applying "load diversity," I would decline. I absolutely do not know what that phrase means.

You might suggest that it means, as an example, that there are 12 fans powered by the same circuit, but they are interlocked such that only 6 can run at the same time. But that is not "load diversity," but rather a situation that involves "noncoincident loads," as discussed in 220.60.

You might suggest that it means, as an example, that an apartment building has 20 units, each with its own range, and not all ranges are likely to be in use at the same time. Here again, that is not "load diversity," but rather a situation in which demand factors come into play.

The link provided in post 4 discusses demand factor and diversity factor. Demand factor is covered well in the NEC. Diversity factor is not addressed at all. It is not the same as load diversity, and would not help in any service load or ampacity calculation.

Bottom line: I wish the NEC did not offer a calculation process that employs "load diversity," without taking the trouble to define the phrase. It is not a phrase that has a well understood meaning in the electrical engineering field.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

load diversity isn’t defined easily as there are too many things taken into account to get that final figure.
as Charlie stated above, the NEC doesn’t need to use that term because I really don’t think the NEC knows how it’s defined.
I try to use it in our utility to size transformers for services and wire upgrades, but even then it’s too hard most of the time.

here is a good piece on it that takes all the variables and spells them out.

kwired

Electron manager
And even if they all run at the same time, some of them might be running at less than their full load value. OK, this explains that the loads can be diverse. But it does not provide a definition of the two word phrase, "load diversity," as that phrase is used in the Informational Note cited in post #1. If you were interested in hiring me, as a PE, to perform an ampacity calculation that takes advantage of the NEC's method for applying "load diversity," I would decline. I absolutely do not know what that phrase means.

You might suggest that it means, as an example, that there are 12 fans powered by the same circuit, but they are interlocked such that only 6 can run at the same time. But that is not "load diversity," but rather a situation that involves "noncoincident loads," as discussed in 220.60.

You might suggest that it means, as an example, that an apartment building has 20 units, each with its own range, and not all ranges are likely to be in use at the same time. Here again, that is not "load diversity," but rather a situation in which demand factors come into play.

The link provided in post 4 discusses demand factor and diversity factor. Demand factor is covered well in the NEC. Diversity factor is not addressed at all. It is not the same as load diversity, and would not help in any service load or ampacity calculation.

Bottom line: I wish the NEC did not offer a calculation process that employs "load diversity," without taking the trouble to define the phrase. It is not a phrase that has a well understood meaning in the electrical engineering field.
Someone at some time must have come up with some sort of diversity level to come up with the demand factors that are published in the NEC.

Non coincident loads is a diversity factor of "this one or that one" and no in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.