What is the definition of "outside"?

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
For Article 225 purposes, what is "outside". In my case, I have a square tower 60' high and 30' by 30' footprint. It has intermediate platforms on the way to the top which have electrical panels facing inward towards the platform. Other than railings, it is completely open to the weather. Are those panels "outside" or not?

Curious what you all think.

Thanks,

Mark

busman

Occupation
Sounds outside to me.
Thanks Larry. I guess in the back of my head, I was thinking about things like parking garages (above grade or below). Are they "outside"? Where is the line drawn between mostly enclosed, but still open to the weather?

Mark

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't think exposure to weather is the issue. I see it as being a question of whether the interior of the structure could be at risk from a fire started by an electrical short exterior to the structure. That, I believe, is the the reason that outside taps of unlimited length are allowed.

Thus, I would define "outside" as "beyond the exterior boundaries of the structure."

In the OP's tower question, I would say that the panels are inside. Not that that matters much, as that particular structural is probably immune to fires.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I'd say "outside." There is nothing to prevent rain from pounding on the electrical equipment, which would count as a "wet" location (not damp).

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't think exposure to weather is the issue. I see it as being a question of whether the interior of the structure could be at risk from a fire started by an electrical short exterior to the structure. ...

It think it's either or both depending on the code requirement be discussed. And there's at least one other issue, which is access. For example the GFCI requirement in 210.8(F) does seem to be concerned with exposure to elements. Whereas requirements for energy storage systems inside are concerned with fire risk inside the structure. And then there are requirements (230.85, 690.12, etc.) which are about emergency responders having easier access to disconnecting means.

busman

Occupation
I don't think exposure to weather is the issue. I see it as being a question of whether the interior of the structure could be at risk from a fire started by an electrical short exterior to the structure. That, I believe, is the the reason that outside taps of unlimited length are allowed.

Thus, I would define "outside" as "beyond the exterior boundaries of the structure."

In the OP's tower question, I would say that the panels are inside. Not that that matters much, as that particular structural is probably immune to fires.
The tower should not burn. It is 100% concrete and steel construction.

Thanks,

Mark

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
A picture of the "tower" in question would be helpful. But in my imagery I would be treating it no different than a outdoor pedestal.

1701082329893.png

AFA 225 scope limits it's application to branch or feeders run ON or BETWEEN
225.1 Scope.
This article covers requirements for outside branch circuits and feeders not over 1000 volts ac or 1500 volts dc, nominal, run on or between buildings, structures, or poles on the premises; and electrical equipment and wiring for the supply of utilization equipment that is located on or attached to the outside of buildings, structures, or poles.

If your question would be related to the weather worthiness of equipment and wiring method I would say no doubt minimum would require NEMA3R or above and wiring methods rated to use in wet area.