What is the difference??

Status
Not open for further replies.

haskindm

Lamp cords do not include junctions. Lamp cords are tested, listed, and labeled as exposed wiring. Lamp cords (and other flexible cables) are almost always required to be connected with a plug and receptacle - see 400.7(B).
Lamp cords are cables, not single conductors. Lamp cords are not held together with wire nuts.

natfuelbill

Many electricians leave exposed wiring and some have come up with this "excuse". Now, armed with your generous words, I can fight back and get them to cover it up!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The wiring in the attachment are code violations and an exposed lamp cord is not.

Dig though the NEC and you will find a code section for each of those items shown in the pictures.

Run three pieces of exposed THHN wire from a switch up to a fan box and staple it down, now run a piece of NMC up to that fan box instead. How much more protection does the plastic covering the NMC really offer? Probably not much, but one is a code violation and one isn't.

That would be my response to their "excuse".

LawnGuyLandSparky

I am impressed with the the accountability study.

? The NFPA reported that electric devices in homes caused an annual average of approximately 4,600 fires, 31 deaths, 141 injuries, and $58.4 million worth of damage from 1994 to 1998.

It will be interesting to see if the number of fires declines once the NEC requires arc fault protection on everything right down to the post light in the front yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.