what is the max permitted numbers of cable joints and separation distance as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustafa

what is the max permitted numbers of cable joints and separation distance between them as well for both (MV and LV), by code references please?

templdl

what is the max permitted numbers of cable joints and separation distance between them as well for both (MV and LV), by code references please?

Could you give and example as to you are asking the question. Is this theoretical or a real life application?

templdl

i have three cable joint in one MV loop one of them is near by the switch gear is that accepted?

Are you referring to terminations are splices?
In any event I have been of the school that ech addition 'joint' provides an additional opportunity for failure or voltage drop due to resistance if I'm to understand what you are referring to.
You are dealing with MV and I'm not aware of and limitations other than using the customery safe electrical practices and procedures..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i have three cable joint in one MV loop one of them is near by the switch gear is that accepted?

I realize that you're in Saudi Arabia but we're having trouble with the terminology that you're using. Can you explain in more detail or provide some photo's?

mustafa

i am asking about maximum acceptable number of medium volatge cable splices per ring and if there any restrictions regarding spacing between joints and also between joints and the nearest ring main unit?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Actually it is kinda funny and weird too. We are not sure why you would be still working the same problem with a five year gap. I'm assuming this is a hypothetical question.

paulengr

There is no standard mandating the number of terminations. There is a practical issue...more terminations means more points of potential failure so the goal is to minimize them.

No real limitation on number of RMUs either. Just that the more you have the more costly the install and maintenance.

paulengr

Any time you use an RMU system you cut the impedance in half as far as line losses go (two parallel paths) with all disconnects closed. Fundamentally the only limitation is line length. Eventually you reach a point where the fault current is so low that you can’t differentiate between normal currents and actual faults. This is a limitation on ANY system, radial, ring, or network. Utilities use distance relays to alleviate this somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.