What is this component in a Allen+Roth ceiling fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
80AD6F50-581B-4F30-8367-F73557B9230D.jpeg
I understand the box to the right is the capacitors forward/reverse for the fan motor.

But what is the box wired in after the light pull chain switch?

The reason I ask is because I had a bad pull chain switch and just bypassed the switch and that box and just went directly to the lights and they still work.

Am not worried about different settings of light. As will just turn on and off from light switch on the wall.

Just curious as to what it was.

This is not the exact set up I had as it had a separate pull chain for the fan and the lights.

Last edited:

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Finally found it online. Seems to be a wattage limiter. Does this limit wattage under normal circumstances or just keeps from letting to high of wattage bulb be used?

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Looks like a thermal cut off. If too much current goes through it, it will get hot. Then disconnect the circuit. Most likely a bi-metal piece inside. Different metals expand and contract at different rates when heated or cooled so they bond two different metals together in a long strip, so it will bend with changing temperature.
This is exactly how car blinkers operate, and why they blink faster when there is a short somewhere.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I don't remember when they started to put those in ceiling fans but it was either to keep people from over lamping the light kit or part of energy conservation laws.
Seems from a quick search on the web it’s quite common for folks to take these out as they have been quite problematic.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't remember when they started to put those in ceiling fans but it was either to keep people from over lamping the light kit or part of energy conservation laws.
It was to prevent over-lamping, which might save some energy. It was mostly just interference from the "powers" where it wasn't needed!
I've took out bunches of them and wired straight to the lights.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

I first saw them in the mid -2000’s. And I remember being told back then it was due to conservation law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.