What? Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

A cord that was manufactured with ends cannot be fixed using a listed plug kit because the cord is only listed for use with its original plug. Trimming to install a plug kit is modifying the material away from its listed purpose.

how is that enforceable? For example, I purchase extension cords with molded ends as well as bulk cable from a certain manufacturer. The cable in the extension cords and on the spool is exactly the same, with the same UL number on it. If I take an extension cord, cut the ends off and install hubbells, or if I cut a length of cable off a spool and install hubbells, I end up with exactly the same thing.

Johnmcca

(4) Field Assembled Extension Cord Sets. Flexible cord used in extension cords made with separately listed and installed components shall be permitted to be supplied by a branch circuit in accordance with the following:
Field-assembled extension cords are permitted, provided the conductors are 16 AWG or larger and the overcurrent protection for the branch circuit to which the cord is connected does not exceed 20 amperes. The cord and the cord caps and connectors used for this type of assembly are required to be listed.
20-ampere circuits ? 16 AWG and larger

The blue highlighted is only commentary from 2008

Strahan

As long as the meaning is clear, I try to ignore spelling or word usage errors. But this one was just too funny for me to pass up:The word is "beaucoup," and from what little I still remember from my five years of French (that having been almost 40 years ago), it means "a lot." Thanks for the inadvertent chuckle. :grin:

Glad I could bring a smile to your face!:D I guess you got the point as to what I meant

djohns6

As long as the meaning is clear, I try to ignore spelling or word usage errors. But this one was just too funny for me to pass up:The word is "beaucoup," and from what little I still remember from my five years of French (that having been almost 40 years ago), it means "a lot." Thanks for the inadvertent chuckle. :grin:

You don't know how bad I wanted to say that . I'm from South Louisiana .
You hear that word used a lot around here . :grin:

e57

When doing projects for the corp of engineers this was a requirement too.Even if an inspector saw a damaged cord he would cut it up so it could not be used again.
Wearing the proper PPE and using insulated linemans - soon to be strippers... :roll:

Here there used to be this Inspector who would have you "Talk to the hand" - walk past you silent, then search the job until he found a frayed cord and start writing stop work notices.... I'm so glad that right after his dad - the Chief Inspector retired - he got SACKED!

Status
Not open for further replies.