Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

Re: What It Takes To Become An EC

You mean YOU love hooking up Garbage Disposals too?!?! :D

I thought I was weird!

Dave

physis

To tell you the truth Dave I didn't read that far. I read about half of it and you described a lot of days I've had so well I really couln't read any more. :(

Edit: I alredy have to do like 75% of that stuff sometimes. Maybe I might as well just get a license.

[ July 20, 2005, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

hardworkingstiff

Originally posted by bthielen:

To be a successful entrepreneur takes long hours, hard work, and a dedication way beyond the 8-hour day.

Bob
Yea, want to be self-employed only work 1/2 days? No problem, pick any 12 hours you like.

benaround

Highvoltage,

I guess you missed the point! You use the word 'hack' a lot "Battle every weekend hack that has no business turning a wirenut on". Be careful what you say, it's not uncommon for apprentices to do a moonlight job.
The point is that no matter what,trade,service,or whatever,It's the customer who is looking to save $$$$$ that supports the hack and unless you do have your thumb misplaced,You don't want or need this type of customer.
If you have serious concerns about people causing harm to the public, take my advice "Don't watch CNN or any other News on the t.v." ,Also, chill out,if your having a bad week don't take it out on the guy's willing to help you out.Remember, most of us don't like high voltage that much anyway.

frank

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by davedottcom:
I would say it consumes at least 100 hours a week at the very least.
Staring at prints, Bidding jobs, calling customers, making lists, lots of lists.........
Great post Dave, you make it sound like so much fun. :D

I think I will stay an employee. :eek:

highkvoltage

benaround. No I've had a good week but thank you for asking. What I can tell you is if I catch someone moonlighting or trying to slip through the cracks trying to do work they shouldn't be doing I will call the AHJ pain and simple. As far as being a Journeyman Lineman only a few, the proud and the brave can be preform linework. It takes a special breed and still my first love. ;)

[ July 20, 2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: highkvoltage ]

highkvoltage

Back to the subject at hand. I had $70,000 in equity before going into business. Tools, material and cash. The question you will always be asking yourself "Was that enough?" I sometimes wonder but for some stange reason I won't go back. As far as the 100+ hours a week, that seems about right. I will exceed that easily this week between working, paperwork and bidding. I now believe you have to have a mental disorder to stay in the business. :D

celtic

Originally posted by highkvoltage:
BI now believe you have to have a mental disorder to stay in the business. :D
...no doubt traceable to being around high EMFs for prolonged periods of time
:roll:

tshea

Very concise lists--you forgot the big one--
PAY TAXES!
Government has its hands in an EC pocket all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.