What single tool have you lost, or had to replace the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

For me, it is the #2 Phillips screwdriver, if you lined up all the screwdrivers I have lost end to end in the last 15 years, you could probably circle the planet twice....:mad:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would say screwdriver, but usually just wore out, not so much lost.

So I would have to say razor knife, but as many as I've lost, I've found so after 30 years it's pretty much been a wash.:grin:

bphgravity

I tend to leave my 5-in-one screwdriver on job sites all the time. Sometimes I forget my receptacle tester which is a real bummer. But mostly, I forget the pole I use to test smoke alarms.

gndrod

I tend to leave my 5-in-one screwdriver on job sites all the time. Sometimes I forget my receptacle tester which is a real bummer. But mostly, I forget the pole I use to test smoke alarms.

Hi Bryan,

In testing hibay photo type alarms, using a 2 Meg Candle power spot-light will set off the alarm without needing to push the test button. Give it a try. Usually smokers are now specified dual combination photo-ion (UL217) types for maximum early warning response. rbj

walkerj

I have lost every screwdriver I have ever had except the ones I have now:-?

I have never lost a pair of Klein's and that's about it:grin:

walkerj

I can never find my sharpie. It starts off in my shirt pocket but always ends up anywhere but.

I can maybe go three days on new construction without losing my sharpie:grin:

I buy 10 at a time so I always have an extra.

My seatbelt takes it out of my pocket every time I get in the van:grin:

ultramegabob

I give my helper extra sharpies to keep in his toolbag because I tend to lose mine and when I borrow them, Im bad about not giving them back:grin:

Sharpie used to be it, but a caddy 449 ( MC support) on your hard hart holds that sucker tight. But I haven't been able to find a good a tape measure in a few years, and each brand seems to have its own sets of problems.

PetrosA

I usually lose about 1-2 lockback knives per year. I won't use a utility knife, so I get the lockback kind. I've lost a Klein, a Gerber, and two cheap ones. At this point I won't spend more than about 8 bucks to replace one ;) My next knife will be a lineman's type knife with a sheath. I see the sense in it since I started using gloves to crimp services ;)

Just remember my biggest loss - I got an Ideal file about a year ago and lost it at a customer's house this spring. Their dogs were carrying off our tools while we were working in the kitchen. When I went to get a new file at the supply house, they quote me $37! I went back and fought those two dogs till they gave it up ;)

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The more expensive the hand tool the more likely I have had to replace it. 35 years later, I still have a screw driver I paid 15 cents for.

Status
Not open for further replies.