What the do you call these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
When I lived in California we called them Industrial raised covers. In Northern Florida we call them RS covers. What I am surprised about is no one bothered to mention that it often causes less confusion if you just say they are GFI covers instead of Decora covers.

iwire

Staff member
What I am surprised about is no one bothered to mention that it often causes less confusion if you just say they are GFI covers instead of Decora covers.

But they are decora covers. They can be used for decora switches, receptacles, timers, occupancy sensors and yes GFCIs.

Strathead

Occupation
But they are decora covers. They can be used for decora switches, receptacles, timers, occupancy sensors and yes GFCIs.

Oh, I know that! But GFI's are still the most common thing in them IMO, and most of my guys still think of them as GFI covers. Unless you work with Decora often, which around here almost no one pays the extra for.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm with Don, I have always referred to them as garvin covers. It must be an Illinois thing.
Garvin Industries is in Illinois, but they have many other types of covers as well, so get the right person in the supply chain and who knows what you get for a cover.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Summary: They're called something different everywhere you go. Find a catalog number and spec that.

:thumbsup:

Best answer (IMO)

That would be best, but it's easier said than done. I'd have to spec. numbers for every possible combination, simplex box, duplex box,, decora, toggle switch, duplex, quad, etc.

Then for our government entities, I'd have to spec. two other equal manufacturers and part numbers for every cover.

Then I'd probably have to spec. the box to go along with it (3 brands again). Otherwise, the cover may not fit the oddball boxes the contractor found on clearance. And the boxes better fit all the conduit sizes that could possibly be needed.

I just want a basic note to put on the drawing so I don't get something like this:

IMG_7909.JPG

Or like this:

IMG_7962.JPG

Strathead

Occupation
That would be best, but it's easier said than done. I'd have to spec. numbers for every possible combination, simplex box, duplex box,, decora, toggle switch, duplex, quad, etc.

Then for our government entities, I'd have to spec. two other equal manufacturers and part numbers for every cover.

Then I'd probably have to spec. the box to go along with it (3 brands again). Otherwise, the cover may not fit the oddball boxes the contractor found on clearance. And the boxes better fit all the conduit sizes that could possibly be needed.

I just want a basic note to put on the drawing so I don't get something like this:

View attachment 11901

Or like this:

View attachment 11900

I am glad to see you are diligent enough to worry how I (as an estimator) will conceive your description. I expect using the term "surface covers" as Steel City uses, or "Raised surface" covers or even RS covers should get the result you are looking for. All of those term would prevent accepting the installation you wish to prevent. IMO. And in your first picture, the correction is very easy, and most of us would jut run out and get an RS cover doing our best to cover our shame. In your second picture that is just a hack electrician or much more likely and after the fact drywalling on an existing electrical installation. I know that if I had a Foreman try to get away with that he better have a really good explanation.

rlundsrud

Garvin Industries is in Illinois, but they have many other types of covers as well, so get the right person in the supply chain and who knows what you get for a cover.

I didn't know that garvin industris were a local entity, it certainly explains why everyone out here calls then garvin covers.

For what it's worth, I can't ever remember a supply house out here not knowing what I was referring to when I mentioned garvin cover.

ritelec

1900 two gang gfi , decora , srm cvr.

And yes i say gfi decora srm...

what's up with srm I have no idea, but when decora first came out that's what the major supply house in my area was calling that rectangle configuration ???

Status
Not open for further replies.