What the???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,
We have a new warehouse just about complete in Lenoir City, Tenn. I have not had the opportunity to go there yet and have only observed pictures. The exterior of the facilities office section is constructed from blocks. This is my question: From the photo's I noticed the construction contractor has, metal studs fastened to the interior of the block horizontally 24" centers instead of the typical vertical 16 or 24" centers. Anywhere there is an interior wall against the blocks, they did this. Before the drywall was installed, they notched these studs for conduit to pass. My first thought is if I ever get set there to install new wall outlets or change a location of one I'm screwed. Is this normal? Or as the title states should I be asking someone "What the *#&^@ are you doing".

LHarrington

hillbilly

I would get a set of the building plans and see whose idea it was to install the studs in this manner.
Then I would ask this person the same question.

I would also question the ability of the "horizontal" studs to support the weight of the drywall.

steve

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
the walls are non load bearing, and therefore the 24" spacing should be allowed. i'm sure the horizontal runs were to save pipe and wire. nothing uncommon here. if you need to add outlets in the future, there should be some j-boxes above the ceiling here and there where the conduit starts down the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.