What the????

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

What about the sparking receptacle?

The homeowner said HE replaced it. The line side was marked with scotch tape. I took it apart and assured that the connections were good and proper. It was the home run. I don't know if the other electrician looked there or not. All I could get out of the HO was "he said it was a loose wire" and "he talked a lot".

Looking at this pic again, it looks like the head of screw with no conductor is cooked, and the very bottom wire is too much whiter than it's neighbor. Plus, the wires above and below this hole are the most damaged.

If I were to take an educated guess, I'd say the wire on the bottom was in the now-vacant hole, and was shortened, re-stripped, and re-terminated.

I noticed that also and the bottom white wire WAS one of the 3 wire neutrals but A) it was one of the loosest ones and B) would ANYONE just repair ONE burned wire? If they did, wouldn't they tighten the lug?

Also there is a lot of burned debri on that clean bottom wire. The HO claimed the other guy was there a few days before me.

Maybe there was no other sparky???

Also, after my repair you can still see discolored insulation. The bottom on is pretty white.

DSC01743.jpg

Last edited:

frizbeedog

electricmanscott said:
I bet those were loose connections from day one. I see it often in newer homes. Intial installer probably stripped all the conductors at once, stuck them into the terminals and didn't tighten them all.

I'm going with this diagnosis as to the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.