What to do after hurricane Helene

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I would be concerned about salt infusion. When salt dries it isn't conductive but when it gets wet it is.
Agreed.. but conductivity aside when the saltwater gets into the wire, it's very corrosive to the copper wires.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Replace esp if covered by insurance.

In the meantime property owners must suck it up, keep paying bank mortgages & insurance premiums, and fix their own house.

Recommend replacing with underground feeder cable (UF), and Weather Resistant devices (WR), which may dry out better next time.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
CBS "60 minutes" ran a story last week about fraud being perpetrated by insurance companies, where adjusters would estimate damage in the hundreds of thousands of US$ but their report would be changed to eliminate 90+% of covered damages by rogue mercenary adjusters hired by the companies.

kwired

Electron manager
How many houses have been wired by qualified persons who were careful in securing and handling the romex?

Pinched wire + water/contamination = fire
If they have removed wall covering because it too was submerged then you should be able to visually see said pinched wire if it exists?

Outside of paper fillers in the cable wicking up moisture I really don't see much issue with getting NM cable wet. Mold issues maybe.

As others have mentioned, I have also seen many cases of misused NM cable and wetness mostly only makes a mess of the paper fillers but the conductors are always fine.