What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

When I was doing construction I did a 6 story hotel to condo conversion, lady on the 3rd floor was complaining because the GC would not put in a skylight for her after all all the residents on the 6th floor had them. I did not even try to explain.

powerslave

brian john said:
When I was doing construction I did a 6 story hotel to condo conversion, lady on the 3rd floor was complaining because the GC would not put in a skylight for her after all all the residents on the 6th floor had them. I did not even try to explain.

You should have told her to opt for the walk out basement as well.:grin:

ultramegabob

peter d said:
That's a good idea, although don't you have to deal with the underlayment? I've heard that they vinyl side right onto the studs in some parts of the country, but never saw any pictures or the like to prove it.

yeah, you have to take a sawzall or saber saw and cut a channel and then replace the plywood or celotex, if its foam board subsiding, all you need is a carpetknife, and its a good idea to tape the seams before replacing the siding.

masterinbama

We have a lot of vaulted or treyed ceilings around here and slabs on grade. 1 trick I use is to pull the vinyl soffitt down about every 10 feet and use my green fishing sticks. Going around the house adds to my home runs but it beats cutting holes some times. If the house is not vinyl I pull the soffitt vents and fish that way.

tonyou812

mdshunk said:
I'm not sure I'd necessarily call that a pain. Not making extra holes is (or should be) an every day thing for an electrician who does a lot of old work. I know I go months and months in a row without making extra holes for anything, and I do a heck of a lot of old work. I will concede, however, that the present and vintage construction methods in the northeast making doing old work far easier than it would be in FL or AZ, where houses are typically on slabs with flat roofs. That has to be miserable.
I totally agree with marc, I have become pretty good at it as well, and I almost always think of how to do it w/o holes. But if I do make holes I will always explain to the customer first. Sometimes you can add an outlet if you need it to go between two floors. Most people dont mind and some welcome the outlet.

Minuteman

brian john said:

Sorry lady -the GC can't install a skylight for you. However, you can be the only apartment in the building with a view of the bottom side their upstairs neighbor's couch. :D

quogueelectric

Hey no matter how carefull you are sometimes that dversibit gets loose from you and it did the other day in a log cabin house. I was just lucky where it came out was about the best spot it could have come through. Some wood putty and brown paint and it was fixed. No worries mate.

bikeindy

We never make a hole that is not absolutly nessasry if the customer wants done what they ask for. And i always tell them upfront what might have to be done what the best case is and get aproval on any hole that might need to be made. We do a lot of old work stuff, I am one of the buttheads that lives in a historic home so I already understand my customers wishes. I also have a great plaster repair guy who can fix anything for a price.

bikeindy

quogueelectric said:
Hey no matter how carefull you are sometimes that dversibit gets loose from you and it did the other day in a log cabin house. I was just lucky where it came out was about the best spot it could have come through. Some wood putty and brown paint and it was fixed. No worries mate.

You should try being as carefull as I am. I know exactly where that bit is at all times. If it has traveled more than 1 3/4" you need to stop and evaluate things.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

emahler

I actually get a kick out of hearing about illegal sidejobbers getting the shaft by unscrupulous homeowners. Don't know if that is the case, but I suspect it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.