What type of cable is this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relating to my question last week re: nickel-plated cable...

I took a pic of an existing identical installation yesterday. Obviously it's got a skin on it, but I just don't know what type of cable...

DSC00046.jpg

raider1

Staff member
I agree, it looks like high temp wire.

Look in Table 310.13, there are a couple of types of conductors that are high temp that are nickel or nickel-coated copper (PFAH and TFE for example are nickel or nickel-coated copper).

What is the application of these conductors?

Chris

831 said:
Relating to my question last week re: nickel-plated cable...

I took a pic of an existing identical installation yesterday. Obviously it's got a skin on it, but I just don't know what type of cable...

Glass fiber,Teflon inpregnated GF with Teflon jacket underneath, fiberglass reinforce Mica tape high temperature insulation with Ni plated copper stranded conductors used for the "cold" lead-in section of electrical resistance heaters or trasnfomer internal wiring. 150-450 Centigrade range.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
weressl said:
Glass fiber,Teflon inpregnated GF with Teflon jacket underneath, fiberglass reinforce Mica tape high temperature insulation with Ni plated copper stranded conductors used for the "cold" lead-in section of electrical resistance heaters or trasnfomer internal wiring. 150-450 Centigrade range.

Are you guessing or just showing off? :grin:

cschmid

weressl said:

Okay so where did you glean this info from..

cschmid said:
Okay so where did you glean this info from..

Time and memory of collecting information that is mostly uselless in daily life, but I am glad you asked.:D

These are the high temperature wires I am familiar with that the photograph resembles. I have specified them when hooking up electric heaters, when I designed an electrical furnace and when I used to be responsible for arc-furnace maintenance. There is also Kapton that falls between Mica and teflon temperature-wise but have not seen that in ages. When these materials wer unavailable and if the temperature uis really hig I have seen pure nickel or tungsten(?) alloy lead wires used with interlocking porcellain tubelets slipped over the wire to form the insulation.

LawnGuyLandSparky

weressl said:
Time and memory of collecting information that is mostly uselless in daily life, but I am glad you asked.:D

I've resigned myself to stop learning new things, it seems lately every new thing I learn knocks old stuff I knew out of the box. :grin:

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I've resigned myself to stop learning new things, it seems lately every new thing I learn knocks old stuff I knew out of the box. :grin:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that suffers with this affliction

weressl said:
The only constant in life is change. You can and should depend on it for a happy an content life and a satisfying career.:smile:
On that issue... I've often wondered how curious I'll be @ 70. I plan on working at least to that age. I'm very curious @ 41 and won't quit until I know what I'm talking about. Will I still care @ 70??? :-?

831 said:
On that issue... I've often wondered how curious I'll be @ 70. I plan on working at least to that age. I'm very curious @ 41 and won't quit until I know what I'm talking about. Will I still care @ 70??? :-?

Depends weather you wish to live on or ready to pack it in. That is why when guys retire they just keel over.

I KNOW how little do I know what I am talking about, but it reassures me that I am surrounded by people who think they do, but obviously know far less than I do. The only difference is that they don't even comprehend that they do not know.

I can't understand how people imagine of learning things from books without having a discourse with someone knowledgable about the subject. Sometimes I sit and listen to people at conferences and it amazes me that they are missing the fundamentals adn construe the missing parts by guesswork. This includes acknowledged experts, senior IEEE fellows and so on. Amazing, but true....

Last edited:

bcorbin

weressl said:

From this description, I would go one step further and say these cables are definitely feeding a Rockwell Systems Retroencabulator! :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.