Whats the best label maker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Do you want to print wire labels, device is plates, or panel information?
I always used 3 different printers for these tasks. The models I used are no longer available.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I use the 3M one for the panels with the 1/2” label

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Label makers are one of those products where the company is trying to get rich selling you the label tape and giving you the maker cheap. When looking at label makers always investigate the price and availability of the refill tapes before making a purchase decision.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
As pointed out the label makers "give you the lamp but you have to buy the oil." I used Brady for a long time but the consumables got to be very expensive, but Brady has the large >2" label market.
I met a Brother rep at a trade show who used to work for Brady, and I then switched to a Brother PTE300 Industrial label maker. The labels are about 1/4 the cost of Brady. The big advantage is the Brother can use the standard P-Touch labels you can get anywhere. Plus, are you ready, it slices, dices and can heat shrink labels! It has rechargeable batteries and its easy to use. I got mine for about $99.00. The Brother P touch labels have a clear overlay and they hold up really well in the sun, and there are many colors available. The PTE300 goes to 3/4" and the PTE500 goes to 1".
And if you come in after me on a job, Iabel everything. Here is an abandoned conduit, that goes 30 ft and stops outside, well label it.
Watch this video and get one ordered up

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For the panel labels I have an excel spread sheet, its sized to fit inside the panel directory holders from Siemens and Sq D. I can post an example later. Here is the important tip, always print two directories, one you can mark up, one to go back to the shop and reprint. This worked well for me as I worked maintenance and was easy to get back to update the directory

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
LOW COST - DURABLE - FAST TURN ROUND
Traffolyte Labels are ideal for use in industrial applications and we are highly

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
As pointed out the label makers "give you the lamp but you have to buy the oil." I used Brady for a long time but the consumables got to be very expensive, but Brady has the large >2" label market.
I met a Brother rep at a trade show who used to work for Brady, and I then switched to a Brother PTE300 Industrial label maker. The labels are about 1/4 the cost of Brady. The big advantage is the Brother can use the standard P-Touch labels you can get anywhere. Plus, are you ready, it slices, dices and can heat shrink labels! It has rechargeable batteries and its easy to use. I got mine for about $99.00. The Brother P touch labels have a clear overlay and they hold up really well in the sun, and there are many colors available. The PTE300 goes to 3/4" and the PTE500 goes to 1".
And if you come in after me on a job, Iabel everything. Here is an abandoned conduit, that goes 30 ft and stops outside, well label it.
Watch this video and get one ordered up

sounds like the brother rep talked you into becoming a salesman..

jk 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.