What's the difference?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One has a white/yellow/green/blue background around the test button, the other only blue.

I don't recall the meaning of each color, but the two breakers are obviously not equivalent.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It is possible that the Home Depot site has incorrect part numbers. I would compare the part numbers with what's on the Eaton site.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe old stock of combinations. I seem to remember that color sticker along time ago.
Could not find anything in the website mentioning that rainbow color one
Also there is no guarantee that the photo's are accurate either. One of the photo's on the HD site is of a 15 amp circuit breaker.

Found this:

Eaton Cutler-Hammer Eaton CHFN120DF (New Version of CHFAFGF120) Pigtail Connection Dual Function AFCI/GFCI Circuit Breaker

I've always said to be careful about buying stolen/old stock of arc fault breakers. I am pretty sure they are continuously updating the software on these to avoid nuisance trips, so not sure any cost savings would be worth the potential extra hassle.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The first link I believe is the newer SKU that indicates it is 1/4” shorter than the previous model, allowing more gutter space. Square D recently revised their DF breakers to be shorter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think it’s the wrong pictures. Eaton does make one that has a trip flag like Square D QO, but I don’t remember one in afci. The description on the first one said “flag”.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Found this:

Eaton Cutler-Hammer Eaton CHFN120DF (New Version of CHFAFGF120) Pigtail Connection Dual Function AFCI/GFCI Circuit Breaker

I've always said to be careful about buying stolen/old stock of arc fault breakers. I am pretty sure they are continuously updating the software on these to avoid nuisance trips, so not sure any cost savings would be worth the potential extra hassle.
I just want to know what the deal is with the one with the different colors on the front.

kwired

Electron manager
The one without the multiple colors on it says out of stock and not available on line or in stores. I take that to mean probably discontinued item and very likely because Eaton updated it and the other model is the current model.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I think it’s the wrong pictures. Eaton does make one that has a trip flag like Square D QO, but I don’t remember one in afci. The description on the first one said “flag”.

Both models have flags, as designated by the “F” in the SKU.

I’m pretty sure the only difference in the updated SKU is the 1/4” shorter frame.