What's wrong with this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Was the person who made the termination qualified? That is did he get all of the semi-conductor insulation off of the dielectric insulation when he installed the stress cone?

JoeStillman

Was the person who made the termination qualified? That is did he get all of the semi-conductor insulation off of the dielectric insulation when he installed the stress cone?
It was done so long ago that nobody even knows who built it.

I'm wondering if we ought to try and re-terminate it or replace the whole cable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It was done so long ago that nobody even knows who built it.

I'm wondering if we ought to try and re-terminate it or replace the whole cable.
If it's not prohibitive to de-energize for a few hours, I'd have some new tape and cleaner handy, shut it down, remove discolored portions of tape, and assess... then clean and re-tape no matter the assessment, and re-energize.

Last edited:

Sahib

The corona onset voltage decreases with increase in air humidity. An operating anti condensation heater would avoid it and so the damage shown in the photo of the OP.

Sahib

Wouldnt stress cones do the same?

No because stress cones are a means of preventing insulation failure at the termination of a shielded cable caused by the high concentration of flux and the high potential gradient that would otherwise exist between the shield termination and the cable conductor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have never seen any pictures of corona damage that looked like what is shown in this thread.

I still think that not all of the semiconductor was removed when the termination was made that the current flow through the remaining semiconductor caused the heat damage.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Ok... I guess I might ask... what is the correct way to terminate cable like this? The ones I am familiar with involve stress cones or elbos.

Cloud

How long is the cable run between the two panels? Are the cables shielded / armored? Is it solidly bonded?

Status
Not open for further replies.