When are you allowed to apply commercial kitchen demand factors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

In article 100 kitchen is defined as an area with a sink and permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking. So if don't have a single piece of electric cooking equipment, then you can't apply the kitchen demand factors in table 220.56?

For example a pantry with coffee maker, dishwasher, microwave, etc.

WA_Sparky

Electrical Engineer
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I ran into this on a recent coffee shop project similar to Starbucks. I reached out to the local building official for his interpretation. He said similar to continuous load definition, if any equipment is likely to be running for 3 hours or more at a time it can be considered a kitchen equipment load. That meant
No: Blender, Oven, coffee maker, coffee grinder, Convection Oven. These loads are intermittently turned on and off as needed.
Yes: Refrigerators of any sorts, Ice Maker, Frozen Beverage machine, Walkin Freezer/refrigerator...

Hope it helps

cppoly

Thanks for the input. But doesn't this sound counter intuitive?

I would think the intent is to take a demand on intermittent loads like: oven, coffee, make, coffee grinder, etc. since the feeder will only be seeing a portion of the total connected load and no demand would be allowed on continuous loads. Thoughts?

retirede

I ran into this on a recent coffee shop project similar to Starbucks. I reached out to the local building official for his interpretation. He said similar to continuous load definition, if any equipment is likely to be running for 3 hours or more at a time it can be considered a kitchen equipment load. That meant
No: Blender, Oven, coffee maker, coffee grinder, Convection Oven. These loads are intermittently turned on and off as needed.
Yes: Refrigerators of any sorts, Ice Maker, Frozen Beverage machine, Walkin Freezer/refrigerator...

Hope it helps

I wouldn’t think any of those “Yes” items would normally run continuously for 3+ hours. Maybe if someone left a freezer door open?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I would think the intent is to take a demand on intermittent loads like: oven, coffee, make, coffee grinder, etc. since the feeder will only be seeing a portion of the total connected load and no demand would be allowed on continuous loads. Thoughts?
Yes on the loads like oven, coffee, make, coffee grinder, refrigerators of any sorts, Ice Maker, Frozen Beverage machine, Walkin Freezer/refrigerator...

They are all loads with intermittent use or thermostatic control.

Status
Not open for further replies.