When do contactors have to be in an enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
Hey guys, I'm doing a job where I'm going to wire a wells mfg. ventless hood. There are (2 )40 amp 208 volt 3 phase fryers, a 90 amp 208 volt single phase range and the 20 amp hood circuit. The fryers and the range will run through normally closed contractors I will install. How do I know if these contractors have to be installed in an enclosure and if so can I use 3 separate enclosures?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Just to clarify, are you asking if you need an enclosure versus bare open terminals mounted on a wall? Or is there an equipment chase integral to the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Are you sure about that? Look at page 13.

-Hal

There is a electrical chase area designated for contractors, terminations, and such.

I just went back to your original post on the subject and read through the hood manual.

Those diagrams do not show an integral equipment chase; do you have exactly what is in the manual or do you have additional components on the actual install?

The hood chase I’m referring to would be a stainless enclosure connected to the hood itself and contains the ansul system & microswitches, wiring compartments and terminal blocks for devices mounted under the hood. Again I don’t see this on the drawings. Do you by chance have a picture of what’s there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If you look at page 4 there is an internal drawing of the fan and filter unit with call outs and on page 5 all internal components are identified. There is a wiring compartment where they have their relays as well as the terminal blocks for field wiring. No provision is made for additional contactors. Page 13 has a drawing that shows an external field installed contactor cabinet and routing for raceways from it to supply the receptacles for the appliances.

-Hal

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Hey guys, I'm doing a job where I'm going to wire a wells mfg. ventless hood. There are (2 )40 amp 208 volt 3 phase fryers, a 90 amp 208 volt single phase range and the 20 amp hood circuit. The fryers and the range will run through normally closed contractors I will install. How do I know if these contractors have to be installed in an enclosure and if so can I use 3 separate enclosures?

Would it just be more productive to just install shunt trip breakers if the panel has room for them? That way all your doing is taking a wire back to panel to trip the shunt trip breakers for the appliances.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Would it just be more productive to just install shunt trip breakers if the panel has room for them? That way all your doing is taking a wire back to panel to trip the shunt trip breakers for the appliances.

Been there with that suggestion. Yeah it would, even a sub panel for all those circuits fed from one shunt trip breaker. Thing is the hood does not have the provision to do that. All it has is a SINGLE CONTACT THAT OPENS when the hood shuts down, malfunctions or there is a fire. You would need a contact that closes to operate a shunt trip, but even if they had that you would need to reset the shunt trip breaker(s) each time after turning the hood off.

-Hal

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
You mean there’s not another micro switch in the suppression system actuator that you could come off of? Or add a second microswitch if it only came with one?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Every control head I've wired contained two micro-switches, and could be fitted with two more.

The fire guys usually carry spares, and will usually give you a few; don't forget to ask for mounting screws.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
You mean there’s not another micro switch in the suppression system actuator that you could come off of? Or add a second microswitch if it only came with one?

LarryFine said:
Every control head I've wired contained two micro-switches, and could be fitted with two more.

The fire guys usually carry spares, and will usually give you a few; don't forget to ask for mounting screws.

NO!!!

This is actually the second thread by this OP about this thing and all of that was hashed out in the first. The OP should have added this question to his first post rather than starting a second and causing confusion.

This is NOT your typical hood system. It's all self contained with no option to do anything other than external contactors for electric appliances. That's how they designed it.

There is no outside ventilation and the whole thing sits atop a 3 sided SS enclosure supported by legs on the floor that the appliances go into. It's really an appliance in itself. Not even attached to the structure.

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.