When is a building or structure considered seperate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjenks

When determining when to implement NEC 230.32, when is a building considered still part of the original building. I swear I found that definition either in the NEC or the Florida Building Code. I can't find it anything right now. I have three buildings on a residence that are by the pool. One is a bathroom, then a Storage room, and then a shower room. One is connects to the other by a lattice roof and the other doesn't have the lattice roof, but is connected by a short wall and metal gate. I would hate to have to run panels with GEC in each structure as each one will require more than one circuit. Oh and one of the buildings also has a pool panel on the outside of it. All of them are fed from the main residence which also connects to these three structures by a short wall and gate.

If you have a code definition, please let me know.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You won't find it in the NEC. It defines "structure," but not "separate structure."

When you say that more than one circuit is needed in each building, can you get by with one multi-wire branch circuit per building? If so, the exception to 250.32 will greatly reduce your work load.

renosteinke

The NEC does not mandate any sort of panel for a separate structure.

Now, your AHJ may wish each to have an ourside disconnect - but with the bulidings clustered around an enclosed courtyard, that might not be required.

What the NEC does mandate is a grounding electrode ("ground rod") at each separate structure that has more than one circuit. If all are built on a common slab, and the rebar is the "grounding electrode," then that's not an issue. Otherwise, the various electrodes need to be connected somehow. Using the ground buss in a subpanel is but one way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.