Where do I find a 24" in-ground pull box for 3" conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a long run of 3" conduit, trench buried (or will be), and more than 360 degrees of bend. So I need a pull box. Even going straight across, I need a 3 x 8 = 24" box, and I can't find anything, even at graybar, that size.

Am I missing an easy alternative solution, or have I just not found the right supplier yet?

Any pointers *much* appreciated.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ask for a Quasite box catalogue or look online.

Roger

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Depending on what you're pulling, it might be worth it to step up to a vault. We buy ours from Oldcastle Precast.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
We used Quazites, they are lightweight, but the edge where the lid sets can be cracked, the fastening holes get full of dirt.
A better and stouter box is a concrete handhole with diamond plate lid, but heavy. This is what our DOT used. Watch you traffic rating on the lid

Aha!

Aha!

Quazite:

http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/about/quazite/

Im suprised GrayBar wasnt able to help you out

I was asking for the wrong thing. I asked for a Carlon PVC box 24" in width. They looked at me like I had four eyes, and now I understand why - at this size they're all concrete derivatives. The perils of asking for your solution, rather than explaining your problem, er, challenge.

Thank you all *very* much! This is exactly what I need.

JFletcher

I was asking for the wrong thing. I asked for a Carlon PVC box 24" in width. They looked at me like I had four eyes, and now I understand why - at this size they're all concrete derivatives. The perils of asking for your solution, rather than explaining your problem, er, challenge.

Thank you all *very* much! This is exactly what I need.

You're welcome. btw, when they say "lightweight", that is relative to concrete. A box big enough for what you need will still weigh several hundred pounds. We opted to drill ours thru the side to avoid more huge 4" 90s from underneath and having to bury the conduit that much deeper to accommodate such a large sweep. If you drill it, which Im not sure was even kosher, you'll need diamond bits or the like; bi-metal bits died in about 3 holes.

You'll also need sand/gravel in the bottom for drainage, so check the instructions and order a few bags of those accordingly.

btw, put straps under it to lower it in, in case you have to pull it back out, you can do it easily. and you wont kill yourself lowering it in. Wouldnt be a bad idea to have an extra set or two of hands to help you.

We used Quazites, they are lightweight, but the edge where the lid sets can be cracked, the fastening holes get full of dirt.
A better and stouter box is a concrete handhole with diamond plate lid, but heavy. This is what our DOT used. Watch you traffic rating on the lid

Very good point. Definitely bring a vacuum with you because if those holes fill with dirt, you will not be able to screw in the lag bolts on the cover all the way.

plumb bob

I have drilled them as well and never been asked about it. A dry core masonry bit works great, but it does create an enourmous amount of dust.

Also, beware when you get into larger size quazite boxes, like 4' square and bigger.

Their largest sizes are not UL listed and, unfortunately, I was called on that by an inspector. He definitly knew it wasn't listed when he came for the inspection. Went right over to it and asked to see the sticker. I called my PM and informed him about the violation, he called our purchaser who checked with the supplier, sure enough quazite has not paid UL to have the larger sizes listed. Dug it out and installed some type of small listed precast vault.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Also, beware when you get into larger size quazite boxes, like 4' square and bigger.

Their largest sizes are not UL listed and, unfortunately, I was called on that by an inspector. He definitly knew it wasn't listed when he came for the inspection. Went right over to it and asked to see the sticker. I called my PM and informed him about the violation, he called our purchaser who checked with the supplier, sure enough quazite has not paid UL to have the larger sizes listed. Dug it out and installed some type of small listed precast vault.
Handhole enclosures are only required to be listed where buried, i.e. top is below grade and covered.

Otherwise, they only need be "identified" for use in underground systems.

JFletcher

I hope it is kosher since I have drilled into quite a few in the past. Never got called on it.

I never looked at the instructions much to know. As primarily a residential electrician, I havent dealt with many of those Quazite boxes, and you tend to remember your biggest failures...

"no bottom, made of fiberglass" it's light, he said.

The hand truck with the warped bottom plate and bent axle says otherwise, as did my back. 110.3(B) what?

I think the inspector on that job never even saw the boxes, I think he spent about 45 minutes talking about his dogs while stink-eye-ing our 600A disco and 75kva xfmr (admittedly an odd combo), which were a good hundred yards from those boxes.

tl;dr: if you drill Quazite boxes and get called on it, dont blame me. :D

plumb bob

Handhole enclosures are only required to be listed where buried, i.e. top is below grade and covered.

Otherwise, they only need be "identified" for use in underground systems.

314.30 does state handhole enclosures " shall be identified for use in underground systems." I didn't see any mention of different requirements for when the top is buried but might have missed it.

As I remember, the inspector called out a UL listing violation, but it was a while ago. Maybe it was a battle my shop didn't want to fight. That would surprise me though, it couldn't have been a cheap fix. It was the better part of a day to dig it out and replace. It was also at the beginning phase of a long project so that may have also factored into the decision.

Edit: added clarifying text

Status
Not open for further replies.