Where do you find the requirements for CO detection

Mustang125

I have looked in NFPA 72, NFPA 70 and NFPA 720 to try and find where it tells you where you need to locate CO detectors in commercial buildings. They give some "requirements" but not so much where they are needed.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Looks like it's section 915 of the international Fire Code, if your state has adopted a version of that.

jaggedben

Occupation
I don't know about the book ownership part. I mean it's pretty much all free online now if you know how to acess it. I own the 2011 through 2020 NECs but have yet to buy the 2023, I just make sure to remember my NFPA password. I suppose depending on your state your mileage may vary. NH's site seems okay.

It looks like NH has its own fire code, not the IFC, so if your project is in your location then perhaps my last post doesn't apply.

Mustang125

everything I find is just referencing the codes they have adopted or anything they amended not so much "their own code". I have NFPA link but now ill have to buy ICC access to get the building and fire codes I guess. Not sure how you find them all free online? In this case, from what I can find, NH is using NFPA 1 as "their fire code" no mention of IFC. I cant seem to find anything prescriptive for CO detection in NFPA 1. So would that mean that there is no requirement or is it possible that its in IBC, as they have adopted that as "their building code"? Again, weird to me that NFPA 720 exists but doesn't give you any requirements or info on how and were you need them, the whole book is for CO lol?!? (NH has NFPA 720 listed as adopted)

jaggedben

Occupation
everything I find is just referencing the codes they have adopted or anything they amended not so much "their own code". I have NFPA link but now ill have to buy ICC access to get the building and fire codes I guess. Not sure how you find them all free online?

Any of those ICC links on their site, for me if I'm on my mobile device I just tap the Table of Contents on the bottom and start reading. On a desktop it pops up on the left.

FWIW, in California the state site links to California specific versions hosted on the ICC site. I won't say they aren't cumbersome to navigate, but they're not behind a paywall.

In this case, from what I can find, NH is using NFPA 1 as "their fire code" no mention of IFC. I cant seem to find anything prescriptive for CO detection in NFPA 1. So would that mean that there is no requirement or is it possible that its in IBC, as they have adopted that as "their building code"? Again, weird to me that NFPA 720 exists but doesn't give you any requirements or info on how and were you need them, the whole book is for CO lol?!? (NH has NFPA 720 listed as adopted)

In that link titled "Fire and Life Safety Rules Saf-C 6000 (current)" there is some stuff about CO detectors, I only skimmed and didn't look at the ammendments.

Not saying that I know the rules! Just that it seems like you can find them there somewhere (without paying to access, not that your time isn't worth anything).

PD1972

Occupation
engineer
Typically states adopt either NFPA 1 or an amended version of the IFC (International Fire Code from the ICC suite of codes). NFPA 72 and NFPA 720 won't tell you when you need CO but the aforementioned codes will.

After figuring out which fire code your state has adopted, flip to the fire protection section of the code (chapter 9 in the IFC or chapter 13 in NFPA 1). You will need to know your occupancy classification (assembly, education, detection/correctional, etc.) to determine what type of fire protection system you will need. This includes both fire alarm and CO.
I cant seem to find anything prescriptive for CO detection in NFPA 1..

With a quick ctrl+F of NFPA 1, some references about "carbon monoxide" are 13.7.2.1.4, 13.7.2.3.4, 13.7.2.13.2 etc. What is applicable, as stated above, is dependent on the occupancy classification. Section 13.7.2... is where you should be looking.