where does service end, feeder begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayjong

i have a resi duplex, meter sockets at drop, with wires to (remote) 125A panel. don't the "service entrance" conductors end at the meter sockets, and everything from there to panels is "feeders"?
is it Monday...

pete m.

Generally speaking; Open the service disconnects... what stays hot would be service conductors.

Pete

raider1

Staff member
The service entrance conductors end at the service disconnecting means.

Here is the NEC definition from Article 100.

Service Conductors. The conductors from the service point to the service disconnecting means.

Chris

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Yup.

What Pete said.

If the meter socket has the service disconnect(s) in the enclosure, then that is where the main bonding jumper ties the branch circuit and feeder neutrals together with the branch circuit and feeder equipment grounding conductors, and on the LINE side of the disconnect they become the "grounded service conductor".

mayjong

thanks... i'm just wondering why this electrician is trying to pull such big wires all the way to the panel...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
thanks... i'm just wondering why this electrician is trying to pull such big wires all the way to the panel...

The Main Feeder conductors would have to be at least as large as the service entrance condutors.

Roger

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The Main Feeder conductors would have to be at least as large as the service entrance condutors.

Roger
Really? not in all instances.
This is a duplex , The feeder would be that of table 310 .15 B
The correct size if copper is # 2 CU

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Really? not in all instances.
This is a duplex , The feeder would be that of table 310 .15 B
The correct size if copper is # 2 CU

I really need to read more closely, I completely passed over the reference to the duplex. You know, it is Monday. (I picked up on that too when I went back and re-read the OP) ;)

Roger

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I really need to read more closely, I completely passed over the reference to the duplex. You know, it is Monday. (I picked up on that too when I went back and re-read the OP) ;)

Roger
You must have that old Fart eye problem like I have. :cool:

mayjong

05 NEC...
o-k , so if he uses 310.15(b)(6), then he can run other wires in the same raceway? (if de-rated?) because it is a feeder , not Service entrance..

raider1

Staff member
05 NEC...
o-k , so if he uses 310.15(b)(6), then he can run other wires in the same raceway? (if de-rated?) because it is a feeder , not Service entrance..

310.15(B)(6) can be used for service entrance conductors or main power feeders.

Chris

mayjong

true enough. he wants to run other wires (feeders)in the same conduit.
it seems to be o-k, because the "service entrance" conductors end at the disco...

Status
Not open for further replies.