Where is a grounding pigtail necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's required when using a metal box with a receptacle that is not self-grounding. A self-grounding GFCI receptacle does not require one.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey I'm an electrician in NYC and was wondering except gfci where else is a grounding pigtail necessary
Welcome to the forum.

If you're asking what I think you're asking, the answer is "everywhere", not just for GFCIs.

The rule effectively says that the EGC pathway can't be interrupted by disconnecting a device.

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

If you're asking what I think you're asking, the answer is "everywhere", not just for GFCIs.

The rule effectively says that the EGC pathway can't be interrupted by disconnecting a device.
First thanks for the warm welcome

What do you mean by ?

(interrupted by disconnecting a device)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Theoretically by removing a self grounding switch or receptacle from the box that it's mounted to.

-Hal
The intent of 250.148(B) is that the removal of the device does not interrupt the continunity of the EGC to any down stream devices. It is not intended to apply the way you have described it. The language in 300.13(B) for the grounded conductor is better.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
First thanks for the warm welcome

What do you mean by ?

(interrupted by disconnecting a device)
Imagine a receptacle with two grounding terminals. They used to have them, but kept the rule after they stopped making them.

As mentioned above, the same thing applies to the neutral in a MWBC, even though they added the rule requiring handle ties.

synchro

Occupation
EE
1 how would I know if its self-grounding

A self grounding receptacle has a little brass spring clip that maintains contact with the mounting screw. At least I think it's brass.

Front1__21748.1571159842.jpg

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't like using a device for termination purposes, so I "Pig Tail" everything.

I think you mean for "splicing" purposes.

Some receptacles actually do come with pre-wired pig tails where you don't actually terminate your wiring on the device screws.

JAP>

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The intent of 250.148(B) is that the removal of the device does not interrupt the continunity of the EGC to any down stream devices. It is not intended to apply the way you have described it. The language in 300.13(B) for the grounded conductor is better.

That's why I said theoretically. I can't think of how you could interrupt the continuity of the EGC by removing a device.

If you are talking about the grounded conductor (neutral), that's another story. 300.13(B) refers only to a MWBC probably because of its consequences, but I would take it further to prohibit any neutral from being fed through a device (in one screw and out the other on a receptacle) since removing the receptacle would interrupt the grounded conductor to downstream devices. But that would only result in inoperable devices downstream.

-Hal

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That's why I said theoretically. I can't think of how you could interrupt the continuity of the EGC by removing a device.

-Hal
It is my understand that the rule is very old and at one time some wiring devices had two grounding screws.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
No pigtail needed for a receptacle mounted on a “bell box” where there is direct metal to metal contact between device yoke and metal box, IE remove the plastic washer on the 6/32 screws (The rule says surface mount box). And as a FYI it is nearly impossible to attach a pigtail to the threaded boss in a bell box!

Status
Not open for further replies.