Where to buy 12-2-2 romex in NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

subman

This may sound like a stupid question but I'm having a hard time finding electrical supply houses in my area (Central NJ) that stock 12-2-2 romex?

Reaching out to my fellow NJ contractors to ask, 1. Do you have the same problem? and 2. where to do buy yours?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ask your supplier to order it-- that is what I had to do. I needed 14/2/2 and 14/4 neither of which are stock so they ordered it for me.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Talk to your supplier. I'm sure if you convince them you like/need the stuff they'll be more than happy to start stocking it.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Home Depot can get anything you want, all you have to do is ask at the pro desk.

And the ones around here will beat any written quote by 10%

And the ones around here stock 12-2-2

peter d

Talk to your supplier. I'm sure if you convince them you like/need the stuff they'll be more than happy to start stocking it.

That usually depends on the supplier. The big regional or national chains can get most everything from their main warehouse the next day. The "mom and pop" places (what few remain) usually have to wait until they can make their next minimum order.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Home Depot can get anything you want, all you have to do is ask at the pro desk.

And the ones around here will beat any written quote by 10%

And the ones around here stock 12-2-2

Why deal with HD instead of building a good relationship with wholesale suppliers?

I'm amazed that most of the new generation of contractors feels HD, Lowes, Etc. is there best source of materials. I have been in business for over 30 years. The only things the big box stores are competitive on is 14/2 & 12/2 NM cable. I can get everything else substantially less from my suppliers. I can also forward plans off to the suppliers for material quotes.

peter d

Why deal with HD instead of building a good relationship with wholesale suppliers?

I'm amazed that most of the new generation of contractors feels HD, Lowes, Etc. is there best source of materials. I have been in business for over 30 years. The only things the big box stores are competitive on is 14/2 & 12/2 NM cable. I can get everything else substantially less from my suppliers. I can also forward plans off to the suppliers for material quotes.

Wholesalers are almost always better but HD/Lowes fill a void. I've found that wholesalers are usually staffed by incompetent people and it often takes them forever and a day to order stuff that they don't normally carry. Pricing can vary widely too.

James L

Occupation
Electrician

If you take a "substantially less from suppliers" written quote to Home Depot, you will see the price go substantially less again....10% less.

But I'm also talking about something that's gonna get ordered once, or once in a great while.

I remember once, I needed 1000' of ser-g for an apartment building. I called every supply house in Kansas City and got a lowest price of $1300.00

So I go into Home Depot and ask for a price on the exact same wire, thinking I'm gonna fight for that 10% lower deal. HD price was $987.00

You know what? I've got some good guys I deal with at supply houses, but $400 less?

There's a reason we call Western Extralite "Western Extra High"

Plus, Home Depot seems to be only 6 minutes from anywhere. I can stop on lunch break

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Also, I don't use credit, I pay cash for what I buy.

If I need to return something to HD, I get cash back. If I return to a supply house, they mail me a check in 6 weeks

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Return to a supplier and get a check in six weeks? We get return credits the same day or next via email. Having them send me check is a waste of time or it means I have closed my account.

I don't use credit. I have cash accounts only. Just the way I was rsised - never owe anyone if at all possible

For those using credit, a return would get credited immediately. But to pay cash, then return something, means a check mailed to me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't use credit. I have cash accounts only. Just the way I was rsised - never owe anyone if at all possible

For those using credit, a return would get credited immediately. But to pay cash, then return something, means a check mailed to me.

You miss out on the 2% discount that suppliers offer if you pay by the 10th. I always get the 2%-- having credit is not a bad thing if you pay it back when it's due....

kwired

Electron manager
Wholesalers are almost always better but HD/Lowes fill a void. I've found that wholesalers are usually staffed by incompetent people and it often takes them forever and a day to order stuff that they don't normally carry. Pricing can vary widely too.
Competence of those in big box stores isn't all that geat either, but you generally help yourself most of the time in those places. I have a salesman at supply house that is experienced and is primary salesman for my territory. I usually talk to this salesman as much as possible, especially with phone or email orders, the not as well trained counter people will screw an order up more easily.

If you take a "substantially less from suppliers" written quote to Home Depot, you will see the price go substantially less again....10% less.

But I'm also talking about something that's gonna get ordered once, or once in a great while.

I remember once, I needed 1000' of ser-g for an apartment building. I called every supply house in Kansas City and got a lowest price of $1300.00

So I go into Home Depot and ask for a price on the exact same wire, thinking I'm gonna fight for that 10% lower deal. HD price was $987.00

You know what? I've got some good guys I deal with at supply houses, but $400 less?

There's a reason we call Western Extralite "Western Extra High"

Plus, Home Depot seems to be only 6 minutes from anywhere. I can stop on lunch break
Maybe 6 minutes for you, closest HD or Lowe's to me is about 100 miles. My supply house is about 40 miles away, but delivers to me twice a week no extra charges, or can deliver to job site in some instances.

You miss out on the 2% discount that suppliers offer if you pay by the 10th. I always get the 2%-- having credit is not a bad thing if you pay it back when it's due....
Also if you get deliveries with no one available to receive them like I do, a credit account is somewhat easier for that situation.

growler

Plus, Home Depot seems to be only 6 minutes from anywhere.

Maybe 6 minutes for you, closest HD or Lowe's to me is about 100 miles. My supply house is about 40 miles away.

Here in the Metro area there is either a Home Depot or Lowe's about every 10 minutes.

I admit their prices are not the best but to be able to go and get a part ( breaker or panel ) and be back on the job in 30 minutes, it's just hard to beat. Another thing is that HD & Lowe's are open late at night.

If you are looking for a steak you don't go to Micky Ds but for a quick burger.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Try Feldman Bros in Paterson 973-742-7329. They're in an enterprise zone so if you pick it up in Paterson you'll only pay 3.5% sales tax. Not sure if they'll ship to you if you don't have an account. I would call first.

chris1971

Try Feldman Bros in Paterson 973-742-7329. They're in an enterprise zone so if you pick it up in Paterson you'll only pay 3.5% sales tax. Not sure if they'll ship to you if you don't have an account. I would call first.

What's an enterprise zone?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

thank you.

iwire

Staff member

I think it really depends on the volume you do.

It's easy to have good relationships with wholesalers and their sales staff when you are always buying a ton of material.

For a smaller shop I don't think you get the same level of treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.