white strobe lights in animal labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I've received what strikes me as an odd request to look into using something other than white for FA speaker strobes in a "mice" laboratory.

Evidently the mice don't like it. I suggested replacing the mice with lawyers; they are more plentiful, no one ever gets attached to them, they'll do things the mice would never do and they show no ill effects from exposure to white strobes but they were ill amused.

Have any of you encountered this before. I suppose we'll have to use something other than white and have the fire department sign off on it. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mike

drbond24

I haven't designed anything for a while, but when I was doing that stuff I would have just called the fire chief and asked. I worked on a naval base and the on base fire department had jurisdiction over stuff like this. If they don't care, you don't have a problem. They may recommend a specific second color choice or something.

I'm just curious, but aren't mice colorblind? What difference will it make what color the light is?

I would have suggested the use of the senators from a certain political party that I have even less of a use for than lawyers, but I'm sure this isn't the place to get into that. :grin: :wink:

HighWirey

mshields said:
I've received what strikes me as an odd request to look into using something other than white for FA speaker strobes in a "mice" laboratory.
Evidently the mice don't like it. I suggested replacing the mice with lawyers; they are more plentiful, no one ever gets attached to them, they'll do things the mice would never do and they show no ill effects from exposure to white strobes but they were ill amused.
Have any of you encountered this before. I suppose we'll have to use something other than white and have the fire department sign off on it. Any input would be appreciated Mike

Did a fairly large government animal lab FA and never heard of the jittery mice syndrome.

"I suggested replacing the mice with lawyers"

Go easy on 'em. Don't you know that only 99% of lawyers give the rest their bad name?

Best Wishes Everyone in 2008

480sparky

Substitute the mice with these guys:

TheThreeBlindMice.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mshields said:
I suggested replacing the mice with lawyers; they are more plentiful, no one ever gets attached to them, they'll do things the mice would never do and they show no ill effects from exposure to white strobes but they were ill amused.
Have you suggested to them replacing their lawyers with mice?

e57 said:
How do the KNOW the mice don't like the lights and not say the 90db horn not far away?????

WHAT??

Rampage_Rick

e57 said:
How do the KNOW the mice don't like the lights and not say the 90db horn not far away?????
Before you ask that, maybe you should ask how they came to any conclusion at all. Do they deliberately set off the fire alarm to see how the mice react? Are fires that routine there?

Mr. Bill

I thought that the only device colors allowed per Code are red or white.

What about the stress to the mouse from being enclosed in a small space?

Karl H

I've never heard of avoiding white light in a vivarium. The main focus was always on maintaining a 12/12 light cycle.Oh yeah never use T-101's cause the click of the time clock disturbs the mice or rats.

mshields

all kidding aside

all kidding aside

I've learned that this is not an uncommon concern. Evidently a company called Silentone makes horns that operate at a low frequency threshold for animals and red or amber strobes alleviate any concerns with the strobes.

Have to get the fire marshall to sign off on the different color strobes but evidently this is fairly common practice.

What do you know?

Mike

How often does this alarm go off? Since the system is apparently in a constant state of alarm and life safety code is being dictated by lab rats, I would eliminate the fire alarm system all together and establish an around the clock fire watch.

JohnJ0906

mshields said:
I've learned that this is not an uncommon concern. Evidently a company called Silentone makes horns that operate at a low frequency threshold for animals and red or amber strobes alleviate any concerns with the strobes.

Have to get the fire marshall to sign off on the different color strobes but evidently this is fairly common practice.

What do you know?

Mike

Mike, why exactly is this an issue? :confused:

Do they test the system often? I can't really think that the alarm would go off often enough to be a problem with the rats.

e57

Mr. Bill said:
What about the stress to the mouse from being enclosed in a small space?

Lets not forget what else may be being done to them by concerned and creative persons in white coats... No wonder they don't like white...

Status
Not open for further replies.