Who Does the Inspection? (Industrial )

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Hypothetical question.

Say a large heavy industrial plant is being built. Big place say buildings in the millions of square feet. Medium voltage feeders from a 10 MW or larger pad mount distributing power within the facility. Lots and lots of automation and large processes all electrically powered.

All this is stuff that goes way over the local AHJ's inspectors head.

Who does the inspection? Do they hire a 3rd party?

I've done work in plants like this my whole life, but I've never been involved in one being built all new from the ground up

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It depends on the adopted laws in your locale. Around here ultimately the local AHJ is responsible. If they cannot handle the inspection duties then it would be their job to hire whomever was needed to perform the task.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
It depends on the adopted laws in your locale. Around here ultimately the local AHJ is responsible. If they cannot handle the inspection duties then it would be their job to hire whomever was needed to perform the task.
And what type of organization would be qualified to perform the inspections? An electrical engineering firm, or are there some other types of companies who specialize in this?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I just had a big inspection last month with a plants insurance carrier. Management was way more worried about that inspection than dealing with the local city.
Insurance (and OSHA) inspectors find all kinds of stuff in the dark corners of the NEC and other NFPA standards, places construction electricians never go.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
My personal preference is the insurance company. They have actual “skin in the game”. They often have (or can get) qualified inspectors AND they can’t be unreasonable lest they loose a profitable account.

There are several local jurisdictions that also have qualified inspectors; however, they aren’t necessarily compelled to be reasonable since they aren’t liable. I know they can be sued, but as I’ve said before, “Show me the statute that gives the local AHJ their “A” (authority) and I will show you in the same statute or a superior one that they hold no liability.”

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Engineers of record are main ones I believe. I work on a nuke and inspectors drew their paycheck from the same co we did.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Engineers of record are main ones I believe. I work on a nuke and inspectors drew their paycheck from the same co we did.
The engineer of record may or may not be responsible for interim inspections. It all depends on the contracts, and what the AHJ requires. In NJ, the locals may call in the state inspectors if they don't think they can handle it. In fact, IIRC, local inspectors have a grade or level to their license that indicates what level of construction they may oversee.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I can't speak to every industrial situation but none of the projects I have been involved in had an inspection by the AHJ beyond the service, switchgear MCCs, lighting, emergency systems, etc. They seem clueless about the process side of things and machinery so just leave it to those who are probably better prepared to make sure it is done right.

There are very few if any AHJs that have the capability to adequately inspect such installations so I think there is a pass through to make sure there are no obvious problems and then the permit is signed off.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The engineer of record may or may not be responsible for interim inspections. It all depends on the contracts, and what the AHJ requires. In NJ, the locals may call in the state inspectors if they don't think they can handle it. In fact, IIRC, local inspectors have a grade or level to their license that indicates what level of construction they may oversee.
I had a large generator install, and the local inspector knew it was over his head, so he called in the state inspector, in which it looked to be over his head too, he wanted the neutral/ground bond on the load side of a ground fault main transferswitch. Couldn’t get it through his head that it negated the ground fault protection, and should be on the line side before the GF CT.