who owns the tools you use

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

If your in the middle of something and you need a hand tool,[/qoute]

Hate to bust your chops, BUT if you are in the middle of something and do not have the HANDTOOL, you are not laying your jobs out adequately. Besides which there are few hand tools another hand tool can not take the place of in the short term.

mattsilkwood

all we are required to have are basic handtools. but ive got everything from cordless to benders to kos ect,ect. but im a toolaphile(i dont know if thats a real word but it sounds good:grin: ) i enjoy working with my tools, i didnt spend all that money for them to sit on a shelf and look pretty. it helps me be more productive because i know where all my tools are so i dont have to waste time looking around the shopfor stuff. and if i need something for a side job i dont have to borrow it, thats not a problem but its a pride thing kinda wierd huh. the company pays to fix anything thats broken, batteries or whatever. but i like having my own stuff.

Ed Carr

This is a little off topic but here goes.
We were on a job today and I saw a guy from another
company using what at first glance appeared to be
a kids toy. Turns out it is a mini battery powered
bandsaw made by a company called Stout.
Does anyone have one of these?
The thing was awesome. Light and powerful.
The real kicker is made in the USA! :grin:

mattsilkwood

Ed Carr said:
This is a little off topic but here goes.
We were on a job today and I saw a guy from another
company using what at first glance appeared to be
a kids toy. Turns out it is a mini battery powered
bandsaw made by a company called Stout.
Does anyone have one of these?
The thing was awesome. Light and powerful.
The real kicker is made in the USA! :grin:
just googled it. looks like itd be great for strut but the thing i dont like is it only cuts to 2 1/2. might have to try one.

msurban

owner/president

owner/president

My guys are to provide their own hand tools which i inspect. We try to have all the guys buy e-rated tools, nothing from the discount houses. I provide all the other tools thru a lease program with a supplier, corder and cordless. They sign a sheet with all the tools and serial numbers stating what is on each truck. Lose it and you buy it!

I suddenly see how some ECs can charge $65 an hour or less. They don't supply the tools their guys need!

Most of the other unlicensed "electricians" don't have the tools they need to do more than a new install, either.

It seems like the old home owner thought process, "I've got a screw driver, how hard can it be to install a 3-way light switch..."

If this has already been mentioned, sorry. I can't take the time to go through 14 pages of posts, at work.

-Dan

brian john

Most of the other unlicensed "electricians" don't have the tools they need to do more than a new install, either.

I do not think this had diddly to do with it. Generalized statements like this can be thrown in the trash if I can show you just one unlicensed electrician with a truck full of tools.

K2500

DanZ said:
I suddenly see how some ECs can charge $65 an hour or less.
-Dan

Maybe because the local market supports that price.

DanZ said:

-Dan

How often does your firm deal with unlicensed electrcians?

How often does an electrician who works with a design/build company, need more than the tools required for a new installation?

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I am an IBEW Journeyman Electrician and although our contracts says we just supply our own hand tools (Kleins, dykes, screwdrivers, channellocks) most of the more professional electricians will often supply a few specialty tools of there own just to make life easier.

But the contractor always supplies things like ladders, electric or battery powered tools, benders, drill bits, etc. Most guys carry a Wiggy but the contractor supplies all other types of meters.

crwill

Hand Tools

Hand Tools

I have been an Electrician for 43 years. An Electrical Contractor for 30 of those years. As an Electrician I furnished my handtools. As an Electrical Contracor I expected my men to have handtools that would be replaced by me if they were worn out. Basic handtools are a part of being an electrician.
Pride of ownership is something being lost in todays society.
A tool is a device that makes work easier. I like easier.
I have never had an Electrician complain or think it unusual to have his own handtools.

brian john

I have been an Electrician for 43 years. An Electrical Contractor for 30 of those years. As an Electrician I furnished my handtools. As an Electrical Contracor I expected my men to have handtools that would be replaced by me if they were worn out. Basic handtools are a part of being an electrician.

Agree 100%

Pride of ownership is something being lost in todays society.
I knew electricians in the 70's, 80's and 90's that were just as bad as some of the hacks we see today and some as good or better than some of the excellent electricians working in the field as we chat.

A tool is a device that makes work easier. I like easier.
I have never had an Electrician complain or think it unusual to have his own handtools.

Agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.