Whole House Surges

Status
Not open for further replies.

torint

I know that this topic has been covered. If someone could point me to the thread or give advise, it would be helpful. Homeowner installed 100A panel. Awful job. re-installed panel correctly...replaced meter can, riser, load cable and properly gounded system. All connections are tight. Lights intermitantly surge. This problem exsisted before I came onto job. Will contact POCO today. If the problem is intermitant, how will POCO find it? If POCO does'nt find a problem, what is my next step?

rick5280

Re: Whole House Surges

How about other loads on the same transformer? Check with neighbors for similiar problems. Find out how many houses are on the same transformer. Most likely there is too much load on it, or the transformer is failing.

Rick Miell

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

If your neighbors are not having the same problem re-open the breaker panel and check all connections (especially the neutrals). Also check the bonding to the water main. If the homeowner bugged the service feeders check those also. If you didn't use an anti-oxident on the feeders, open up the lugs (both meter and panel sides)and squirt some in there.

If you still have the problem after all of that then tell the power company that you have a power quality problem and let them check their end.

I recently had a similar problem where I did some work in an upstairs bathroom. The customer suddenly and mysteriously developed this problem after I did the work and seriously believed that it was something I did(yeah - right). I checked the breaker panel, found corrosion on several breakers, replaced breakers, tightened up many loose connections but missed the main neutral feeder. When the power company came in they found the loose connection, tightened it and all has been well since.

Hope this was helpful.

paul

In my last experience with this, the POCO denied any problems. The customer called them first, and POCO told them to call an electrician, stating that it wasn't on their end. I did the usual inspections and meter reading in the panel and meter base. My next action was to talk to all the customers on the transformer, which was an overhead feed. Viola, they all had the same problems, which led back to a bad transformer. POCO took awhile to admit they were in the wrong, and they ended up footing the $$$ for me to go out there to t-shoot.

dereckbc

Staff member

I would check the neutral circuit from transformer to panel very carefully. Sounds like it could be opening up.

Status
Not open for further replies.